Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: FMGO  (Read 2767 times)

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
FMGO
« on: May 05, 2007, 05:27:55 pm »
 I am not familiar with FMGO since i'm still a novice so could someone explain how this works and just how efective it is.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
Re: FMGO
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 08:55:05 pm »
if you do a search on this forum you should find som info on  it or just google it. I have just began reading up onm it and its various aplications. You cna also paste the address below into your url

http://www.beesource.com/pov/rodriguez/abjjan2003.htm

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 12:04:06 am »
It's actually FGMO,but here is a thread about it!
Search for food grade mineral oil
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=1114.0

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 12:05:27 pm »
FGMO (Food Grade Mineral Oil) has been applied in a variety of ways with a variety of results and work.

I have used it painted on top bars and fogged in the entrance with an insect fogger.  The other common methods are shop towels soaked in it or cotton cords with a beewax/FGMO/honey emulsion on them.

The point of the emulsion or the cords is to lengthen the time of exposure to the FGMO so it needs to be applied less often.  The point of the fogger is you can apply it without opening the hive.

In my experience FGMO by itself is useful for keeping the mites under control.  It is not effective enough to knock down a serious infestation by iteself.  For that I'd use Oxalic acid.

Dr. Rodriguez has spent much of his own time and money doing research on this and has resolved the knock down issue by adding thymol to the oil.  The recipes for this used to be on beesource, but I believe they have been removed.  You can search the FGMO forum on beesource or contact Dr. Rodriguez for specific recipes.  His articles are also in back issues of the bee journals.

I have never tried FGMO with thymol.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 04:16:03 pm »
Thanks, after a little research sounds like most of beekeeping ask a question and get a dozen different answers. Some say it works and some say it doesn't and some say maybe so if I get mites maybe it is one alternative to at least try instead of using chemicals they seem to become resistant to.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 08:17:14 pm »
Here's the reason you get so many different views of what works or fails:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesvarroatreatments.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 08:21:33 am »
>FGMO (Food Grade Mineral Oil) has been applied in a variety of ways with a variety of results and work.<

Michael, what exactly is fgmo? i see mineral oil (one brand) being sold that can be used as a laxative, can that be classified as fgmo? Everybody i have spoken to doesn't know what fgmo is.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 12:38:20 am »
>Michael, what exactly is fgmo? i see mineral oil (one brand) being sold that can be used as a laxative, can that be classified as fgmo?

Yes.
-------------------