Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: butt biters  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
butt biters
« on: February 12, 2007, 07:45:17 pm »
ok, not really....but i have been reading about head butting, hair pulling, etc. 

even though the bees ping off my veil and land all over my shirt, the last few times i have been stung, it's been through my jeans.  that's the heaviest bit of clothing and not where i'd expect them to go after me.

anyone else have this experience??
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: butt biters
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 08:12:20 pm »
Oh Yeah
Back in the 70's I purchased 100 hives from a 90 year old Lady.They had been in her back yard for 50 years just sitting there when I moved them to Salt Lake City the nieghboor called me and said the BEES were chaseing her Ducks>The bees were about 300 yards from the ducks.When I started re hiveing them some times it felt like they were stapleing my coveralls on for me
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 08:25:26 pm »
i just don't understand why they go for the jeans and not the thinner shirts.  also, i thought they liked going for the face.  i have not been stung above the waist (except hands) ever, even when they got under my veil.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 08:28:15 pm »
I walk beside my hives with no protection and nothing happens, I go to Don's (fatbeeman) and nothing happens till I get by the Russian hives, then they do like said headbutt you, they dont sting just run into you, they pull hair when they hit you in the head and some time borrow until you shake them loose, think if they ever reach your scalp they will sting but I never gave them a chance.... it is like said headbutt and hair pull.....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 08:50:27 pm »
I wear black jeans for a reason. If the bees are going after me I want them to go for the thicker fabric. Remember bees are drawn to darker colors (so I have been told).
So I do a white shirt and dark jeans. I could wear white jeans, but it all gets dirty anyway.  Blue jeans are a darker color.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline DBoire

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 08:53:25 pm »
I've been stung through jeans, I did surprise me, that was generally when they were upset.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 09:30:32 pm »
Usually they get through where the cloth is tight.  They seem to know this.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 09:44:34 pm »
Usually they get through where the cloth is tight

so just what are you trying to say?????

i am way to old for tight jeans  :-)  the good thing about getting nailed through the pants is that the stings have been very minor.  i think they spent most of their stuff on the material.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 10:32:09 pm »
Your knees and shoulders are favorite targets where the fabric gets tight when you bend or reach.  I have no idea how tight your jeans are.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 10:35:36 pm »
Yup, I think that I heard that bees do not like the darker colours. It attracts them, they think that you are a predator, like a skunk, racoon, bear.  These creatures are all dark.  Now that makes me wonder about the depth of pigment in the human skin too.  Do darker skinned people get more stings than those with lighter skin?  Greatest of days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 09:24:58 am »
I don't get a lot of stings below the belt but when I do it is on the knees when I'm bending down examining the entrance, or once on the ankles.  Although one did attach itself to the back of my upper legs, and when I sat down in the pickup then she got me.
Rick

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 09:44:57 am »
Ha, ya, I know what you mean.  There has been times when I put my hand down on the ground and whammo, got me, same thing, sat down once, and soon stood back up quickly.  Awesome day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service