Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: TBH Question  (Read 2510 times)

Offline jgarzasr

• House Bee
TBH Question
« on: August 15, 2006, 03:42:31 pm »
I have some questions and concerns with my Two TBH's that I started this year.   I probably needed to do a little more research before I started them - and I probably should have only started w/ one instead of the two.  

But the problems I am having is with the Comb not being done correctly.  It seems as thought the Brood comb is fine and I can remove the bars and everything is good.  But when the bees got to building the honey comb - which they build a lot thicker - they are curving it (on one side of the bars) so that it ends up being connected to two bars.  So when I go to move one bar - the comb is broken and honey is spilled over.  It is not really bad - but the other problem that it causes - and it has to do with some of my own fault - is that when the bar is completely drawn out with Honey Comb - it is heavy - and that break caused the comb to break in half and my honey comb ended up on the bottom of the hive.  Now I should have removed the comb before it was that full - but I got busy this summer - so I didn't end up checking when I should have.

Anyway - one thing I am thinking of is changing from a TBH to a Lang.  What would be the easiest way to do this?  Should I let them continue for the remainder of the summer, and go into winter w/ the TBH - and could I set a super of honey on top of the TBH - so that they can move into it, and then switch next spring?... any suggestions?  Thanks.

Offline yoderski

• House Bee
TBH Question
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 02:09:11 pm »
Why not have 3-4 hives--two TBH and 2 Langstroth would be about right, don't you think?   I don't have the answer to how to convert, though
Jon Y.
Atmore, AL

Offline keeper007

• House Bee
Re: TBH Question
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 02:17:27 pm »
Quote from: jgarzasr
and could I set a super of honey on top of the TBH - so that they can move into it, and then switch next spring?... any suggestions?  Thanks.

i'd try that, or you can cut the comb out of the TBH and string them into some empty foundation but id go with the super on top thing
                    Good luck
"Suspect everyone, even those beyond suspicion"
-Steve Leopard/Cirque du Freak

Offline jgarzasr

• House Bee
TBH Question
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 03:05:14 pm »
I would most definitely like to keep the TBH's that I have - but I really would like to figure out why they are drawing out the honey comb wrong.  It must be with my design - but I am not sure.  I took a couple pictures that I am going to post as soon as I get them from my camera, and then maybe someone can give me a better idea.

I like the TBH for a few reasons - It is much easier to manage the bees.  I don't have to spend a whole of money in equipment, and I love the natural thick comb they build, and I able to harvest.  In fact - the comb honey from my TBH is outselling my liquid honey.  Not that I am looking to make money - but a little extra to go back into my "hobby" is nice.

But if it is a design flaw in my hives - how would I go about fixing it w/o destroying the whole hive?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
TBH Question
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 02:37:51 pm »
Honey comb varies in thickness and that's how it ends up wavy.  If you harvesting it, what does it matter?  Leave the best honey combs and harvest the bad ones.

If you want to convert, I'd do it at a time that the bees have time to recover.  Late spring or early summer is best, but maybe, if fed, they'd have time to get stocked up for winter now in your climate.  What is your climate?

To get them in a lang, I'd do a straightforward cut out, myself.  Just cut the brood comb out and tie it into lang frames and havest all the honey and feed the hive until they have a bit of stores to live on.  Feed them more before winter after the fall flow is over.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
TBH Question
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 02:48:01 pm »
I found out last season that bees won't always draw comb straight and it gets progressively more wavy as they draw additional combs if not corrected. I had to go in sometimes and straighten the combs, which can be done if done early on when it's being built. Another small issue I have to deal with is bees attaching new comb to the sides of the tbh. That, too can be taken care of by using your hive tool or an uncapping knife to cut the attachments away from the walls if caught early on.  Once you have some nice straight combs, it's easy to add empty top bars between drawn combs, for bees to use as a template.  :)

anything