Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Barbarians Swarmed  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Denise

• House Bee
The Barbarians Swarmed
« on: June 22, 2006, 02:05:25 pm »
My hubby came home yesterday to find that the Barbarians had swarmed. Wow. They were hanging out in the crabapple tree about 50 feet from the hive. We were pretty much expecting it so there was no surprise. I wish we had gotten to watch them go. It was a basketbal sized clump about 20 feet up in the tree.
The Barbarians were a wild swarm themselves that had taken up residence in an empty hive. That was how we ended up with them in April. They were already very full at that point. We kept adding supers as they needed them, but bees, bees, bees. Amazing. Since we aren't in this for the honey production, we were not going to try to stop them from doing what comes natural to them. We were just hoping to catch them when they went and give them a new home.

Of course we weren't exactly prepared for this. He knocked together a bottom board and we had a stand, deep and 10 frames. He will need to make a new telescoping lid this evening.

He climbed up the ladder with the saw and I held the other end up with the long handled trimmer. The branch was amazingly heavy. We managed to get it down without disturbing them too much and just heaved it over to the waiting hive. I had put a gangplank down and gave them a shake over it. They really DO march right in. What a fantastic sight! I could almost hear the marching music. "Dum, dum, dum, dum!" A bunch of them lined up at the entrance and started scenting. "Come home! come home!!" Just wow. I wish we had had a 3rd person to be the photographer. As it was, it took both of us to get it down. Rats.

"I saw me life pass before me eyes. It was really boring." - Babs, Chicken Run

Offline ctsoth

• House Bee
The Barbarians Swarmed
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 03:40:07 pm »
Those are some amazing pictures, thank you for sharing them with us.  Good look with the swarm.  Do you like to keep bees because of the connection with the natural world, or for breeding?  If not for honey what is your primary motivation?

Offline Denise

• House Bee
The Barbarians Swarmed
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 04:03:43 pm »
We have them mostly for pollination. We have lots of fruit trees that were desperate for some help. The honey is sure nice, but not the main motivation for us. If we get some, great! But we are more concerned that they have enough for themselves. We had originally planned for just the one hive via the new package. But then ended up with the Barbarians as well. Bonus.
I really like just having them for the learning experience. They are amazing little creatures. And it's nice to help the surrounding area by having them. We all know how few wild bees are left and if it wasn't for beekeepers, there probably wouldn't be ANY. My husband and I just enjoy watching them do their thing. It's relaxing after a crappy day at work to just sit and watch the bees..... :D I like spreading the word about them too. Educating people that not everything that flies and stings is a "bee".

Offline Denise

• House Bee
The Barbarians Swarmed
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 03:07:16 pm »
This just gets better and better. Yesterday afternoon we wanted to check in on the Trojans after their busy day. My husband went to grab the gangplank we had used for them to march in. As he was turning it over, I saw a huge clump of bees hanging on the bottom side. Too late! They slid off onto the ground - plop. Aw crap. I said "look out!" but too late. We got out of the way quick and grabbed our veils (just to be safe). I figured either a bunch of them had gotten lost under the board and were just clumping together (not knowing home was right there) OR the queen didn't make it in with everyone and they were hanging out with her. As the clump dispersed, they marched right into the hive. We looked HARD to see her, but didn't.

We let them calm down and regroup and opened things up to take a look for her. We tried so hard but just couldn't spot her anywhere. Rats. But there are so many of them milling around on the frames, it was almost impossible to see. They were busy though drawing out the frames already.

Should we wait a few days and see if there are any eggs? Or go ahead and "borrow" a frame from the Romans that has fresh eggs and see if they do an emergency supercedure? I'm afraid to wait too long and end up with laying workers. Good gravy.

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
The Barbarians Swarmed
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 03:56:52 pm »
I usually like to put a frame of open brood in the box when I shake them in.  It's my belief the open brood holds them.  However, since you already have them in the box, I would leave them alone.  Give them some time to set up housekeeping, get organzed.  Constant disruptions may encourage them to leave.  If you give them a week, I think you will be shocked at the developement.  Swarms are wax machines and they know they are in a race for survival.  Get another box and frames ready.  They'll probably need it sooner than you think.

What shape is the colony they issued from in?

Offline Denise

• House Bee
The Barbarians Swarmed
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 05:51:59 pm »
Quote from: thegolfpsycho
I usually like to put a frame of open brood in the box when I shake them in.  It's my belief the open brood holds them.  However, since you already have them in the box, I would leave them alone.  Give them some time to set up housekeeping, get organzed.  Constant disruptions may encourage them to leave.  If you give them a week, I think you will be shocked at the developement.  Swarms are wax machines and they know they are in a race for survival.  Get another box and frames ready.  They'll probably need it sooner than you think.

What shape is the colony they issued from in?

We did give them 2 frames from their old digs. It had  brood, pollen and capped honey. I had the same thought of making them feel kind of at home. When we checked in to try and spot the queen, they were already drawing out the foundation on the other 8 frames. Amazing!  My hubby did put together another deep and we will assemble the frames this weekend. I figured we would need it pretty fast at the rate they are going.

Their old hive is just booming. Even though about 50% have left with the swarm, it's still a very busy hive. We looked in on them and they are rolling right along. They are working on their 3rd honey super. We have to watch and see how the new queen will be getting along. Hopefully all will go well and she will mate and start laying.