Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cutout and temperature  (Read 2377 times)

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
Cutout and temperature
« on: April 26, 2012, 03:03:29 pm »
I am planing to do a cutout from oak tree hive, i am guessing it is not going to be an easy job,not sure how long it will take.What should the temperature be on the day that i start the job? Dont want to chill the brood if it can be helped.Also would it be better to try a trap out first? Seems that might leave the brood unprotected.Can anyone tell me what kind of tools or knife i will need? All i have at this time is bee jacket with veil and smoker.Paid a bee guy to help but i am not sure he will show,so i may be by myself.
Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Cutout and temperature
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 03:16:47 pm »
Does the tree need to come down?  Are there people in danger of the bees in the tree?

If both of these are no, then the best thing to do is leave them alone.  Put some swarm traps in the area and get your good genetics that way.

If the bees must go,  a cut-out is always the best way to go over a trap out if possible.

Tools needed -> http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,13767.0.html

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 05:32:34 pm »
wow.  don't know that i'd do a cutout on a tree.  the tree is already compromised if it has a cavity big enough for a hive.  opening that up will only make the tree weaker.  one of these days it will come down and your cutout will be blamed....

i am with robo.  if the hive needs to go and they are willing to cut down the tree, that's one thing.  if not, swarm traps are the way to go if you want bees from that hive.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AndrewT

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 06:29:10 pm »
Cutting into a tree to get a colony of bees just seems like way too much trouble.  You can't be sure that you'll even end up with a viable colony, but you're 100% sure of ridding the world of one more strong wild colony.  It just seems too much like fishing with dynamite; sure you'll get something, but at what cost?

I'm with the other guys, leave those bees alone and if you're patient you can get swarms from that colony for years to come.
Give a man a fish and he will have dinner.  Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner.

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 07:20:12 pm »
To you guys who says leave tree alone,it is already down for a year or more so need to cut up and totally remove.Figure to cut as close to end of hive and remove all honey and brood combs.Not sure about how warm the weather needs to be.I plan on having two hives on site and remove and install into hives.20 deep frames per hive,secure with rubber bands,per bee keepers advice :jerry:
Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 07:49:03 pm »
We could only go by what limited info you provided.  We someone says bees in a tree, one assumes the tree is still standing if not told otherwise. :?

I would want the temperature to at least be 65F.  Only put brood comb into frames in the hive, not comb with honey.  If you try and add comb with honey,  you wil end up with a sticky mess of dead bees.   You can leave the honey out for them to rob or crush/strain and feed it back to them.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline AndrewT

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 08:15:04 pm »
Sorry, didn't mean to be a downer.  I would wait for a nice warm day.
I'd also recommend that you bundle yourself up as well as you can; tape your sleeves and pant cuffs, stuff like that so there is no way to get stung, even if it means sweating a lot.  'Cause if you don't have to think about stings, you're more likely to be relaxed and more able to concentrate on being careful when you start to pull combs apart.

I'd also recommend that you take several different sizes of knives to cut the comb, never know what you'll need 'till you're elbow deep.  Also, bring a few clean buckets or something that you can put chunks of honey comb into.  You might be surprised how much honey you can get.  Another thing that could be helpful is a flat surface (piece of plywood or cardboard) to lay out some of the combs as you pull them out of the cavity.  After you know what you've got, then you can sort through and pick out the best looking combs to tie into the frames.  I agree with Robo; I would only put brood comb and as much of the new drawn comb as you find into the frames.  If there was a lot of honey comb, I'd crush it up and strain it out later if it looked clean.  In addition to rubber bands, I've used fine wire (the kind they sell for wiring foundation), kite string, and even white cotton thread with some success.
Give a man a fish and he will have dinner.  Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner.

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 11:01:43 pm »
Thanks Robo and Andrewt ; Guess i was thinking about cutout but not relating all,funny i must have ben bee STRUCK!! Well not yet anyway  the weather here has ben crazy,today it was cool and had a little hail,3 days ago 85 for temp.Looks like we may have 65-70 for this weekend.May try and keep you fingers crossed,the bees seem to be really mellow so far!
Not sure how much bud to take along!?

Offline AndrewT

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 11:24:11 pm »
One more thing I forgot.  I've learned that it's good to get a couple of combs set up in frames and in the box before you get into the brood nest, that way, if the first brood comb you pull out has the queen on it, you can coax her onto one of the frames in the box so you know you've got her.

I did one once where I started pulling out comb, setting them aside, then I got out the first brood comb and there was the queen.  I knew I'd have to do some cutting to get the comb to fit in a frame, and I didn't have a helper, so I herded her back to the next comb still in the wall.  Then after I got that brood comb in a frame and in the box, I cut out the next frame and didn't find her, then the next frame and still no queen.  Then I started to get into some comb loaded with honey and it dripped all over everything, covering bees in a big mess.  I thought sure I'd messed up letting her go back in.  I did eventually get her, but from then on, I always keep a cage handy, but I'd rather just set up a couple of frames and put her on those.  I figure it helps get more bees in the box quicker too.  Good Luck.

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 12:03:16 am »
Thanks again; Andrewt,I was thinking about that the other day what i would need to do to secure the queen. I am making a curved knife like L on end to reach back into log and cut from backside of comb.If i understand correctly if i pull out brood comb with out no queen i should place that into frame before going any further,then keep eye out for queen on the other combs.I am glad someone mentioned using 5 gal buckets for honey combs, do i just shake or smoke bees off combs before putting them in bucket? Anyway i am sure it is going to be fun,and thanks everyone for all the advice.