Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: weather?  (Read 1877 times)

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
weather?
« on: April 24, 2006, 12:33:18 pm »
so i got my 2 packages and the weather is kinda cloudy and cool (hi 50's maybe). should i wait to install them in their hives until its warmer? seems to me that they'd do better in the hive than in the package they came in. its supposed to get a little sunnier and warmer this afternoon.
it also seems like one of the packages is not nearly as active as the other and that there might be a lot of dead bees in that one, but maybe they are just clustered together because it is kinda cool.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: weather?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 01:11:49 pm »
Quote from: randydrivesabus

it also seems like one of the packages is not nearly as active as the other and that there might be a lot of dead bees in that one, but maybe they are just clustered together because it is kinda cool.

Give to that hive  50% sugar syrup

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
weather?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 01:40:25 pm »
High 50s should not be a problem.  Then again, I would take into consideration how long they have been boxed up and what the weather forcast looks like.  A day or so wait could be best.

I once had to install packages in a snow storm,  and all survived fine.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
weather?
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 02:36:26 pm »
ok...that went pretty well. i couldnt get them all out of the boxes they came in so i left the hive entrance open and the boxes leaning against the hives. by time i got the 2nd installed the first box was just about empty. i'll go back later to check it out. then i fed them with 1:1 syrup.
that was kinda fun actually. the noise was the most impressive part. my eyeglasses getting wet with sweat and fogging up was the worst part. i didnt get stung at all but really didnt expect to out of packages.

so thanks to all for all the advice so far (over the last couple of months) and i'm sure i'll have more questions. probably in a couple of hours.

anything