Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: feeding package bees  (Read 1068 times)

Offline orin

• New Bee
feeding package bees
« on: April 14, 2016, 09:28:26 pm »
ok so i checked the weather for the next 5 days and its going to be sunny and in the mid 50's and at night around mid 30's to low 40's. On saturday i will be installing my first two packages and im not sure how i should feed them with the temps that we will have. What do you guys think? would it be too cold for syrup? would dry sugar be the best way to go for now? Also here in southern maine ive noticed that things are close to blooming i think maybe in another week or so the maples (if the weather stays nice) along with a few other things will start blooming.
Orin Hayes

Offline ggileau

• House Bee
Re: feeding package bees
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 10:28:25 pm »
First I would use a division board and keep them to five or six frames. Makes it easier for them. If you have spare deeps I would feed them with a mason jar feeder on the inner cover. I bet they'll be fine😉
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Online cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 12:27:55 am »
+1 on the mason jar feeder on the inner cover.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 01:49:01 am »
I'm feeding my packages with 2 mason jars covered by a medium over the hive body.  But my wintered bees are still on the sugar blocks I put on for winter. 

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 05:01:34 pm »
Gravitational feeding is the best this time of year in New England. We do not have to break cluster to get to the feed.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 (smile)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

anything