Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New from the great State of Idaho  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Idaho Beek

• New Bee
New from the great State of Idaho
« on: December 20, 2015, 07:18:22 pm »
I have been keeping bees for 5 years now. Going on 6. Started with 5 hives and with splits and catching swarms have built up to 80 hives. Hope to get most through the winter and split again and hopefully end up with 140 to 150. If I can catch the swarms I usually catch that should put another 25-30 on that number. Things here in Idaho are going well with the winter so far being pretty mild. Although the harshest part of the winter is yet to come. Usually January and February. My mentor has been a commercial beekeeper and he has helped me tremendously. I will be sending my 80 hives to California for pollination with his. I enjoy hunting, fishing and spending time with the grand-kids. My wife of 35 years helps me with the bees. I have been on beesource forums and have learned a lot from others out there. I look forward to learning even more from those on this site. Let the fun begin.
If you always do what you've always done then you will always get what you always got.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: New from the great State of Idaho
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 12:26:21 am »
Welcome to Beemasters, there are lots of good people here that will help with most anything.

Good luck to you and your bees

Joe D

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 02:41:00 pm »
Welcome to the forum!   Many great people here and very friendly.   

My husband hails from Idaho - he grew up in Moscow.  Very pretty there!
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 07:33:41 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 07:41:23 am »
Would your mentor bee one of the Browing brothers? My wife and I visited there store a couple of years ago while on vacation to Yellowstone National Park. The 2 brothers run 30,000 hives.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Idaho Beek

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 09:25:46 am »
No. The guy I work with is Barlow. He is a great guy. What part of the state are the guys you know from.
If you always do what you've always done then you will always get what you always got.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 10:44:44 am »
They are near Great Falls.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 08:59:50 pm »
Welcome!
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Idaho Beek

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 09:21:10 pm »
Great Falls is way up in Northern Idaho. I am in Southeast Idaho. But Great Falls is a beautiful place.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 09:06:04 am »
If I can catch the swarms I usually catch that should put another 25-30 on that number.

Welcome to Beemaster.
What is your secrete for catching so many swarms?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline LKBruns

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 05:44:11 pm »
Welcome

Offline Idaho Beek

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 06:02:01 pm »
We have a commercial beekeeper that has 5000 hives. When his bees come back from California almonds in March, they place them all over our county. They have a hard time keeping up with all the hives. They are not interested in catching their swarms so I catch them for me. A lot of their yards border public ground and I find a lot of the bees in the sage brush and trees around them. Usually they are only 1-3 feet off the ground and easy to catch. 

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 01:14:00 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster!!!
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

anything