Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarms, swarms, and more swarms  (Read 2368 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Swarms, swarms, and more swarms
« on: April 30, 2015, 10:03:30 pm »
I made it through the winter with 14 hives. I've caught 21 swarms (two absconded) so far this season. I've witnessed 2/3s of them come out of my hives when I was on workcation. Has anyone else had this many swarms? There's only one other person in our club/association who has came close. Most of the others are still waiting for a swarm. Our president is on the swarm call list and he said he hasn't had a call all season. I can't help but wonder how many we've missed.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Swarms, swarms, and more swarms
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 12:49:51 am »
I came through winter with 0 hive and had number 3 move into my equipment 2 days ago.  I never pick up swarms at my own place.  must be the end of the world.   :cool:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline tireman

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 12:52:24 am »
I got my first two this week. The weather has been terrible this year as far as rain and cool temps. I don't know if it has had any effect on swarms in my area but I'm nowhere near you. Congrats on the bees.
It is what it is

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 02:56:32 am »
I've caught 5, just missed one, & turned 2 down because of timing or they were too far away. I was on my way home with  a swarm tonight & got a call for another. I had plans so I had to turn it down.

Offline BC2173

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 09:45:17 am »
Check out thread on http://www.beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=46791.msg404843#msg404843

Sounds just like what we were seeing except we had eggs in center of cells?

BC

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 04:52:56 pm »
I have twelve traps and three empty hives baited with lemon grass oil but no bites yet.
gww

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 10:58:27 pm »
gww, I have never caught a swarm in my traps. Maybe too close to the yard?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 11:46:35 pm »
gsf
I don't know where a yard is at.  I just set them in a couple of deer stands creek lines, high lines and a pipe line.  I know there are plenty of bees around but I couldn't tell you where they live.  Looks like if I want bees I am going to have to order early next winter.
Good luck with your traps though, tommorrow might be the day.
Thanks
gww

Offline Paul Reyes

• New Bee
    • Beekeeping for Beginners
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 04:43:57 am »
Congratulations on catching those swarms. Swarms can be a fun way to get bees, and they are free. They can be easily collected and placed in prepared equipment.

It is usually a good idea to introduce a new queen as soon as possible to the swarm. The swarms can be rather large by they can be easily handled. You will not get a brood so you will not be able to judge the new queen.

Some swarms are unlikely to produce honey crop the first year, but that does depend on the size of the swarm
Paul Reyes is the author of Beekeeping-for-Beginners.com that guides you on how to start beekeeping.

Get your copy of my free ebook How To Raise Bees Here.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 08:07:50 am »
Most of these swarms have been going bonkers. In less than a month some have almost drawn out 12 - 14 frames in two 8f deeps.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 11:05:44 am »
i've alway s had good luck getting swarms to build up.  it sounds like you're in a good location gary.  if your hives are swarming that much you must have a lot of forage.  i set up a couple of new yards this year and when i was within a few miles of one of them i knew that i hadn't brought enough bees.  those hives are booming and they were either hives that i split early or hives that came out of winter a little behind.  tons of privet and tons of poplar i was talking to the land owner and i told him my next round of splits from my home yard was going there and my first round from next year.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 09:36:05 pm »
I'm now at 23 and a couple more of them I split trying to prevent a swarm.