Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need some information  (Read 1207 times)

Offline orvette1

• House Bee
Need some information
« on: March 21, 2015, 02:51:36 pm »
Need some information.  Could you check and find out if your state has a law regarding exterminators and bees.  I would like to have a law passed in Hawaii that says when an exterminator gets a call of bees, either a swarm or in the walls, they have to call a beekeeper 1st.  A lawyer who is helping said it would be helpful if other states had similar laws, then we model our law after theirs. Any help would be great!

Offline Old Blue

• House Bee
Re: Need some information
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 12:00:44 am »
Hi Orvette

I don't know what the law is specifically here in California but if you are buying poison at the Home Depot for instance, they will tell you it is illegal to kill bees.  So we do have some kind of law regarding that in our state, I just don't know any more about it.

Old Blue

Offline vemergy

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 08:07:29 pm »
I know somebody who works for an insect management company in mid-central Ohio who has been instructed to call beekeepers to collect swarms and to never, ever exterminate them.  Not sure if there is a formal law but he has never called me to collect a swarm but I am still hoping that this will happen sooner or later.

BTW, on the legal front, I heard that a new law has been introduced in West Virginia where beekeepers are exempt from lawsuits due to stings to humans, animals, and pets.

While at it, something else to consider?

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 09:45:41 pm »
Michigan has no laws, but the exterminator companies (most) will refer the swarms/cutouts to a list they have on file.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

anything