Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: noob questions - finish cure time and stacking hive boxes  (Read 1065 times)

Offline JConnolly

• New Bee
noob questions - finish cure time and stacking hive boxes
« on: February 13, 2015, 02:02:16 pm »
I've got two questions.

My bees get here April 4.  I'm building the hive boxes now.  I think I've decided to stain them a light color and then coat with outdoor spar varnish rather than paint them.  Then the hives will blend in with the garden grow boxes and fence.   My question is how long do I need to allow for letting the finish cure before the bees get here?  I've found some threads on painting and staining, but I don't see any cure times.

Also all of the hive plans and pictures show the boxes just placed on each other with nothing to keep the stack locked together.  I'm wondering,  why is something like a 1/8" interlocking rabbet joint never used to help align and stack the boxes?  (probably a noob question  :embarassed:)

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
Re: noob questions - finish cure time and stacking hive boxes
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 03:14:36 pm »
I think the cure time realy do not matter as the spray finish is only applied to the outside (not inside or the mating surfaces) as thost stick bees dont like suden movment.
the more surfaces one has the more moisture is held on wood thus rot.
you could bevel a wee bit. bugs like hollows
welcome home

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: noob questions - finish cure time and stacking hive boxes
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 03:42:50 pm »
Cure time will be 2-5 days depending on moisture. As for the box movement, the bees make a substance called propolis that they will coat all cracks with to seal the air out. The bigger your spacing between boxes (non-aligning) the more propolis the bees will put in and the harder it is to separate the boxes. As stated, you do not want paint or coat the inside of your boxes.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.