Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bring your own jug  (Read 2203 times)

Offline mountain mike

• New Bee
bring your own jug
« on: March 21, 2006, 10:42:22 pm »
we had blessings selling honey last year in our own jars at our farm stand but this year God willing we are going to try "bring your own jug" honey sales. .people seem to beee in to it. who cares how you move honey as long as you move it ..?

mm.
mlb

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
Bringing your own honey bottles ?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 06:36:30 am »
I thought about that but decided to just buy the plastic bottles and jack up the price to cover.  One pound botttles with caps cost around 50 cents.

It's a waste to throw all those empty  bottles away but the logistics of dealing with filling people's bottles is more than you will want to do IMO

However I am aware of the frugal nature of Vermonters? ? or at least I understand that they are skin flints? ? maybe that's why you want to BYOB.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
bring your own jug
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 07:28:50 am »
I like to do a variety.  Your customers vary from rich yuppies who are more interested in a pretty bottle, to people who feel it's more "homegrown" if it's in a mason jar to people who just want to save money.  If you're wise, you'll cater to all of them.  Do the BYOB thing for those who want to save money and the fancy jar for those who want to spend it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
bring your own jug
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 09:14:32 am »
How do you plan on filling the jugs at the market? are you going to take a tank with you or ?

What if you give them 50 cents off if they bring back one of your jars from a previous purchase?

Offline mountain mike

• New Bee
honey honey
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 12:27:24 am »
we have a laid back attitude and for some folks coming down to our farm stand is more of a social engagement. we'll use a spigoted jug for our buds that allways want a ton of honey, and keep the fancy little jars for the flatlanders..... :twisted:

mm
mlb

anything