Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How long after larvae in queen cells before a swarm?  (Read 1256 times)

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
How long after larvae in queen cells before a swarm?
« on: March 17, 2014, 06:40:14 pm »
I realize that not everything is 'typical'. That said..

Typically, how long should I expect a swarm after finding larvae in queen cells?

Last week I didn't see any queen cells, but the hive is bursting at the seams. Stold eggs and larvae and added 3 new bars into the brood nest (between nice straight ones) to buy some time (need to build hives...)

Today after a long period (24 hours of rain I noticed heavy heavy bearding.)

I went through the hive and found one of the new bars about 80% built out and 7 queen cups all clustered together. A few with larvae and a few with eggs. Queen is still running around on combs and not in the beard. Still great coverage on the combs.

So my question is, how long do I have before they decide to swarm? Will they do it first spot of good weather? Will they wait until the queens are capped?

I am thinking about either a walk away split or just grabbing the queen and some bees and simulating a package.

But I have a few questions..
Group on the outside.. just foragers outside due to crowding and humidity?
Group on the outside.. preswarm just wating for the queen to come out?

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: How long after larvae in queen cells before a swarm?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 09:54:24 pm »
Usually (take with a pinch of salt here) they swarm a couple of days before the new queen emerges.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 11:31:38 am »
The swarm will issue anytime after the cell is capped.  Some colonies will swarm the day the cell is capped, others may wait until the virgin begins cutting the cap off her cell.  Periods of bad weather will often hold the swarm, that is why in the spring we so often see a swarm the day after cold, rainy periods.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 01:06:24 pm »
Split your hive now or have them split it for you in a few days.  You're in a great position, unless you don't have the equipment to hive them in...
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

anything