Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: looking ahead to spring  (Read 1649 times)

Offline jgarzasr

• House Bee
looking ahead to spring
« on: January 09, 2006, 04:15:29 pm »
I will be installing a few more packages this spring - and I would like to experiment with one package by making it a TBH.  Anyone out there have any tips for starting this hive, and how hard is to begin... and would it be beneficial for me to have two TBH instead of one?

Also I will be moving this spring to a new residence - so I will have to move my two hives - would it be easier to do it now while they are over wintering or should I wait until spring when they are active?

Thanks.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
looking ahead to spring
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 11:02:42 pm »
>I will be installing a few more packages this spring - and I would like to experiment with one package by making it a TBH.

They are fun.

> Anyone out there have any tips for starting this hive, and how hard is to begin...

Same as any hive.  It's hard to know where to put the queen cage so I just direct release her.

>and would it be beneficial for me to have two TBH instead of one?

That depends on the TBH.  Most of mine are just my long medium depth hives with top bars instead of frames. So if I were to need a frame or brood or some stores or whatever, I could steal them from one of my other medium depth hives.

But if your's is not a standard size that would interchange with your frames, it would be helpful to have a spare hive.   Another option, however, whould be to make a couple of "swarm catching frames" like Dee Lusby's on Beesource except to fit your top bar hive.  That way if you and to you could cut some brood from a regular hive and put it in the frame and put it in your top bar.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin