Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Would like to know what is going on.  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Arkwood

• House Bee
Would like to know what is going on.
« on: May 23, 2013, 12:02:24 pm »
I installed my 2 packages Tuesday at 5PM EST. It is 11 AM Thursday. My Queens are still in their cage, because I am waiting to pull the cork as I had 2 hives last week abscond in 50 hours or less so I am waiting 3  to 3 1/2 days to pull the cork this time. (I'm open to comments here but not my original reason for this topic)

I just saw Bees come back loaded with Pollen (1 Bee per hive) in the few minutes I checked on them. Seems like a good sign, I can't say I recall this with last weeks Bees. The 1.1 is about an inch down in a 2qt jar.

What are words for, when no one listens anymore.

Moots

Re: Would like to know what is going on.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 12:15:55 pm »
I installed my 2 packages Tuesday at 5PM EST. It is 11 AM Thursday. My Queens are still in their cage, because I am waiting to pull the cork as I had 2 hives last week abscond in 50 hours or less so I am waiting 3  to 3 1/2 days to pull the cork this time. (I'm open to comments here but not my original reason for this topic)

I just saw Bees come back loaded with Pollen (1 Bee per hive) in the few minutes I checked on them. Seems like a good sign, I can't say I recall this with last weeks Bees. The 1.1 is about an inch down in a 2qt jar.

Haven't personally done packages, but from everything I read/hear, I think your delayed release is a good idea.

As for your second point, not sure if you have a question or not....But yeah, I think that's a good sign.  The limited taking of the 1:1 probably just means their getting what they want elsewhere.

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 01:48:19 pm »
I agree with moots. Let them really get to know their queen before releasing her...
If you are in a strong flow right now, they will probably ignore the syrup. Good luck with ya ladies and hopefully they wont abscond like the previous ones...
Marshall

Offline codeboy

• New Bee
    • Beeginnings
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 02:28:41 pm »
You could try using a queen excluder as an "includer" until the queen is laying.

Offline Arkwood

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 02:39:16 pm »
I thought about queen excluder but was told that if they are going to abscond it doesn't have to be with the queen. SO I figured I'd lock her up a tad longer instead. I'll release her tomorrow at 9:30AM that's 2 1/2 days in the hive plus shipping time... Along with however long it takes them to eat the candy.

Just went out, stupid sugar ants (Or that's how I know them) little small black ants. I put some cinnamon down around the blocks along with DE.

Hives look active as can be. So freaking happy! Been so paranoid from last weeks episode.

thanks for the replies. Lifted my spirit reading them.

What are words for, when no one listens anymore.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 12:37:36 pm »
As long as the workers can get to the queen to feed her, the two to 3 day delay is no problem. I have had some of my mentees wait as long as 5 days because the workers, although feeding the queen, were still biting the wires of her cage. This turned out to be a very gentle hive (it did feel a little touch and go for a while.)  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.