Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: To capture or destroy two feral hives?  (Read 9345 times)

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
To capture or destroy two feral hives?
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2005, 04:55:59 pm »
Quote from: Jay

Hey Finnman, that's what I drive!! I find that arm out in front very helpful when parking!! :D

Yep! It is nice to put coin into parking meter with that arm. 8)

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2005, 08:25:15 pm »
Fineman,  we are now using credit cards for parking meters, in some cities.

If you over stay your parking you also receive a fine/ticket along with the parking fees charged. :cry:

Is that  machine made in Finland?

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2005, 01:43:12 am »
Quote from: Jack Parr

Is that  machine made in Finland?

Yes, we have a couple of companies which make these type of machines.
40 years ago we cut trees with muscles. Even chainsaws were rare. This machine makes 70 muscle men's work per hour.

Just now we have dark day around and machines work  with their help of their numerous lights in woods.

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2005, 07:10:40 am »
Fineman, forty years ago we did more with less also but chainsaws have been around for far longer than that. I used chain saws 40 years ago. I did use a cross cut saw when I was very young, with my father, cutting firewood.

Those machines are readily seen in the pine  forest over here.  If there is ever any machine made for anything, to increase production and eliminate labor that is what we do.  

I do know that along with" Nokia ", Finland does manufactor forest and paper mill/paper making equiptment.  Other than that I'm afraid most people over here have little knowledge of Finland. In fact Nokia is thought to be a Japanese company :cry:  I am looking at my Nokia  cell as I write.
So, don't feel too bad. :P

Opps this is supposed to be about bees. Well bees live in trees don't they so we should not be reprimanded. :D

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2005, 08:05:34 am »
people over here have little knowledge of Finland. In fact Nokia is thought to be a Japanese company :cry:  I am looking at my D

If you see elevators in buildings KONE (=machine) is from here. It is global.
Fisching with Rapala is from here.

Our industry started actually 60 years ago when we had to pay "war compensations" to our nabour Soviet Union.  100 years ago we were good  of Russian emperor.  Before that we were under Sweden.

And SAUNA is Finnish word but sauna come here from Russia.

czar Nikolay II (1868–1918) was the last prince of Finland and the Russian Emperor.  After that we have drawn a low profile.  :P

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2005, 08:32:39 am »
I am aware of Finland's low profile to keep the Russian monster from your door.

Compared to other countries in the Russian iron grip, Finland managed to avoid the worst of the abuse. But there  never was much mention of Finland in the press except when Reagan met Gorby in Finland  which gave your country a brief exposee' on the world media scene.  

I wonder if they mentioned bees? :wink:  

It's 0625 here.  What time are you?  

What is the price of honey in Finland? At the stores or markets? Do you personally sell your production?  Use Euros, I am familiar with Euros. MY wife is from France.  She's my " honey " although very mature honey :(

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2005, 09:49:34 am »

It's 0625 here.  What time are you?  

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Helsinki  15.31  and Los Angeles 05.31
The difference is 10 hours.

Does your clock go to wrong direction?

What is the price of honey in Finland? At the stores or markets? Do you personally sell your production?  

In stores Finnish honey is about 4-4,5 euros  per one lbs. It about same in US dollars.  I sell almost all myself.  I take about 3 €/ 1 lbs jar. I must expand my markets.

But to me to stir at stock market prices is more usefull.  8) http://www.eqonline.fi/

We have more and more foreign honey products for sale.  We got a good yield this summer and beekeekeprs wonder where they put their jars  :roll:

Temperature is here about  -5C - - 10C. No snow in Helsinki.

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
Feral bees and honey prices
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2005, 10:19:33 pm »
LA is for Louisiana, a state in the central time zone of the US. Where the hurricanes Katrina and Rita struck, near New Opleans LA.   LA is also used for Los Angles CA.  Not the same thing but maybe confusing for some.

That would be 8 hours difference between you and me. We have four time zones here. It is now 20:24.

I sell/sold my honey, at first,  $ 3.00 per US pound ( 454 ) grams. then I went up to $ 4.00.  The plastic one pound plastic bottles cost $ .50.

The Euro is currently at $ 1.20.  E 3.00 = $ 3.60, you sell for a reasonable price.  

The stores have different prices for different honey.  The most expensive is orange blossom/citrus honey, I think.  There are some limited supplies of exotic honey that come from limited areas of the country and those tend to command a premium price.

I will visit a lady that specializes in " varitel "? in a few days, sample, and purchase a few different types.  I will know more about that later.

The large producers here in the US are not receiving very much for their bulk honey however, much to their discontent. Around $ .50 I understand.
Not a very exciting enviroment to be in the honey production business right now.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Feral bees and honey prices
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2005, 12:30:52 am »

I sell/sold my honey, at first,  $ 3.00 per US pound ( 454 ) grams. then I went up to $ 4.00.  The plastic one pound plastic bottles cost $ .50.

The Euro is currently at $ 1.20.  E 3.00 = $ 3.60, you sell for a reasonable price.  

The stores have different prices for different honey.  .

Our honey flow season is very short. It is normally July. And the yield, which we can extract, some year it comes at the beginning or late of July. It comes normally during fine weather and we need  2 week to get it in.

I try to catch canola and fireweed and in June dandelion. Canola and fireweed are quite mild alone and all together they are tasty. That timber machine is very useful. After it's work cut woodland is full of fireweed.

I cannot give any guarantee that taste of this plant honey continues next summer.  Dandelion gives honey 50% insurance, canola and fireweed 90% and some special plants with 20%.

Some professionals here are specialized to "specie honeys" , but it is not worth to do it. My clients are mostly users who consumes several kilos honey per year.

I have tried to catch some special honey but it cannot be ordered.

Offline latebee

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2005, 11:13:43 pm »
Just had to reply here!!! If you really care about bees let the feral colonies prosper! They just might hold the answer to some of the crucial problems we all face as beekeepers(not beehavers as George Imrie would say) and honey producers. The drones from these feral colonies provide some of the genetic diversity that helps in building SURVIVOR stock. We must not forget that almost all the bee breeding done over the past few centuries has focused on honey and not survivability. Let the feral colonies flourish and they will return your kindness one-thousand fold!!!!!!!!!!
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

anything