Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: drawing comb  (Read 1575 times)

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
drawing comb
« on: March 19, 2012, 12:46:09 pm »
Here in middle TN. it looks like middle of spring with everything blooming and the hives booming. I have already put all the supers I have with drawn comb on the hives and the bees may start making wax sooner then normal.
So my question is. What is your best way to get the bees to draw comb in supers? Bottom super, top super or whatever?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: drawing comb
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 01:00:38 pm »
According to the bee class I just went to last week in St Augustine, the studies show that top or bottom works out to the same amount of time. I usually try to move a frame of honey into the new super which draws the bees up to protect it and it speeds things up.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 05:47:34 pm »
I don't know if it's still pushed anywhere but I used to do the elaborate supering where you inserted empty supers in between drawn supers, going through all kinds of work to get comb drawn.  It's been years so I don't remember the order and places.  Now I'm lazy.  If I need comb drawn now is the time, in spring, to be getting after it.  This time of the year the bees draw comb easily.  Swarms really get after it.  I just top super now and if the bees have the need, they'll draw out comb.  Seems like it's much easier on me and them.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 06:22:24 pm »
When the honey flow is on, I will place an empty under an almost full honey super so they will crawl through.   Never split the 2 brood boxes with an new box. 

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 07:57:46 pm »
Your bees will draw the wax in the supers when THEY need it. I have never been able to force them.

Good Luck,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 12:51:19 am »
The motivation for drawing comb is the need for comb and a source of nectar.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything