Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does pollen sighting mean there's still nectar coming in?  (Read 1433 times)

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
Does pollen sighting mean there's still nectar coming in?
« on: October 23, 2011, 04:13:00 pm »
I would've thought that the fall flow was over by now.  If the bees are still bringing in pollen does that mean that there is still nectar out there to be gathered? 
Also, while sitting and watching the bees today I saw a few drones coming and going in. 
It's nearly November and I would've thought both these activities would be over by now.  Then again, this is my first full year as a beek and they are still teaching me things.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Does pollen sighting mean there's still nectar coming in?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 07:23:39 pm »
No.  They will bring in pollen past when there is any nectar left.  A frozen flower may still have some pollen in it for a while...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 08:07:51 pm »
During our dearth in July and August there is no nectar due to heat and dry weather.  But there is lots of pollen coming in.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline MT204

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 12:46:52 am »
No.  They will bring in pollen past when there is any nectar left.  A frozen flower may still have some pollen in it for a while...

Thanks for the answer. I also was watching me bees come home today with pollen and wondering where in the heck it was coming from.

anything