Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I'm back /storm damage  (Read 1203 times)

Offline phil c

• House Bee
I'm back /storm damage
« on: July 25, 2011, 08:47:02 pm »
Hey everybody I'm back! I went thru a self imposed exile from the net was just spending to much time doing nothing!
But on to better things, I just got in from inspecting the hives and I am pleased! Mon. 7/11 agout 5:00am we had a doozy of a straight line wind storm go thru here, winds 120-140 mph for just shy of 2 hrs with a huge amount of rain and lightning. The Family and I are all ok and the house is good, but we lost our barn(the girls 4-H calves and rabbits were OK) and 4 of my hives,(double deep 2-3 full supers each) got scattered. It was a god awful dang mess. I had to deal with other storm damage first so I didnt get around to restacking them untill about 7 pm. There were still a ton of bees all over the wreckage and honey and dirt all over everything. Did I mention the girls were in VERY BAD MOODS? I got them all staightened out and restacked in about an hour and then left them alone. So here it is 2 weeks later and I just got done checking them out. I will never stop being amazed at these litte creatures! Most  of the torn up supers were recapped and damage repaired, fresh brood and eggs in the deeps, and even a couple of swarm cells. I was so pleased that I was able to add new supers to 3 of them!
When they got blown apart I was figuring the worst, dead queens, absconding hives,black plague, pestilence, leprosy, and Gallagers comedy. but now it looks like I may get a couple hundred lbs. after all.
AMC cars, Jeeps, Mineapolis Moline Tractors, Bees, More stuff than I have time to play with

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
Re: I'm back /storm damage
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 09:22:39 pm »
So sorry to hear about your wind troubles, but glad you and your family survived with no more damage than you did. 

Interesting to hear how your hives have responded and rebounded.  The girls do seem to be mighty resilient thanks to millions of year of coping with mother nature.  Glad to hear you will still be getting a honey harvest.  God is good.
linda d