Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Inspections with a camera  (Read 2511 times)

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
Inspections with a camera
« on: June 06, 2011, 06:04:19 pm »
A couple of weeks ago newbee Riggs from Lowgap, NC, suggested taking pictures of your frames during your inspections, then studying them on the computer when you are through.

I did that today and found it to be VERY helpful (Thanks Riggs!).  Although I had cataract surgery last year, I can't see an egg through my veil to save my soul. Today in what I was aftraid was a queenless hive I found a small patch of larva, so I photographed it, but I was worried that I might have a laying worker.  When I reviewed my photos, I could see, in addition to the larva, well placed eggs at the bottom of the cells where they should be.  That was a relief.

I also found zooming in on the photos on the computer was fascinating. It is one thing to see closeup pictures of frames/cells/larva/brood/pollen, etc. in a book.  Quite another to know it is the stuff in your own hive(s).  And zooming in on the computer also lets you take a good look at the condition of your girls, especially checking for varroa mites, etc.

I am certain I will have my camera (just a Sony point and shoot w/macro focusing) with me on inspections from now on.  ( P.S. Taking pictures is a lot easier when working without gloves, which I recently learned to do--just in time.)

Linda D
linda d

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: Inspections with a camera
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 08:02:25 pm »
I cannot see any advantage from camera. You need not inspect everything what may be wrong.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 09:52:50 pm »
I completely agree.  I would never go into a hive without my camera - and I've destroyed about a camera a year in the bee yard.  I've dropped them on occasion; gotten propolis all over them; and made the shutter sticky with honey.

But the amount of knowledge to be gained by studying the pictures later is priceless.  I often see things I didn't notice in person.

I just use a point and shoot but today's cameras can make us all look professional.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:34:53 pm »
finski, the advantage, especially for a new beekeeper, is that they can go back and see things that they did not see when in the hive.  i remember how intimidating it was to go into  a hive and try to figure out everything i was seeing.  wondering if what i saw was normal.  thinking as i went back to the house "oh, i should have looked for....".

sometimes you don't realize everything you saw until you go back a look at the pictures. 

probably wouldn't be any advantage to you, and i don't do it much anymore unless i want to post pictures or something, but i think it's a great tool.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 11:19:12 pm »
Yes, I realize commercial beekeeps and veteran keeps probably don't need to or can't take the time to take pictures.  But for newer keepers or people who haven't tried it before, it is absolutely amazing what the camera captures that you are to rushed/nervous/distracted to see when you are holding the frames up to the light, etc.

The really great thing is being able to enlarge and zoom in once the photos have been uploaded to the computer.  I just took some shots of the frames, not knowing what in particular I was going to capture and was fascinated to see how much more larva/eggs were in place than I thought when looking at the frame in the glaring sun.  And you see the girls "talking" to one another.  One was capping off a cell.  You see all the different colors of pollen right next to each other.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I just had no idea when I was in the hive hat there was this much young larva, let alone eggs.
The enlarged photos showed me so much more than I could see with my naked eye.
Linda D.
linda d

Offline Riggs

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 11:39:57 pm »
Thanks ldaxon, makes me feel really good to know I helped. :)

I cannot see any advantage from camera. You need not inspect everything what may be wrong.

finski not all of us have years of experience, and in my case only a few weeks. I'll take all the help I can get.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another. ~
Ernest Hemingway

Offline Riggs

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 12:02:14 am »
After going back and looking at that post, I was just agreeing with kathyp....just wanted to give credit where it was due.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another. ~
Ernest Hemingway

Offline tandemrx

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 12:16:38 am »
forget new beekeepers, a great advantage of the camera is ophthalmic deficiencies.  We don't all have great eyes, young eyes, or good old eyes.

I can see eggs quite well if I have my reader glasses on, but in a few years that will be more difficult and with camera technology today you don't even need great light to get some great close up pictures.

I don't usually use close up camera (my point and shoot) because I mostly use gloves and it is too hard to operate with gloves, but I have used it before and it can be great.  I use my cell phone camera all the time at the bee yard, but I do have issues with getting it sticky and getting propolis all over, so I have to be careful there.

I think it is a great tool.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 12:25:43 am »
finski, the advantage, especially for a new beekeeper, is that they can go back and see things that they did not see when in the hive.

Well. I do not believe that.  What they should see in the hive

- the natural progress in the colony
- brood
- open brood = queen is there
- no queen cells

- space enough for bees and honey

I would like to take pictures more from my hives but I keep hurry that brood do not catch cold.
With meshy fingers the camera would be soon ruined.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline tandemrx

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 12:36:19 am »
It can pretty useful to see eggs (that you might use in another hive that is queenless).  A camera can really help in this department whether visually challenged or not.

Pretty useful to have the technology to see details that with cataracts behind a veil on a person would not be able to see otherwise.  Is a section of cells empty or does it have nectar in those cells?  with my right eye I wouldn't be able to tell, luckily at this point with both eyes and reading glasses I can, but it won't be long till I won't be seeing eggs or the current state of cells that aren't capped or have large larvae in them without the aid of a close up device like a camera where I can blow up the image a bunch.

May not be for everyone, but some huge advantages for seeing when you can't normally see and also for sharing info either with beginning beekeepers or for beginners to show more experienced beekeepers for advice.

Not sure I see a down side  :? other than getting the camera full of sticky stuff  :-D

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 12:38:59 am »
I have so many times laughed at myself for the sticky mess my camera becomes, but I still take it out every time. 

I am always learning about beekeeping and invariably I'll see something in the hive that I want to show someone else or ask about and without the camera, my powers of description fail and I won't be accurate, but a picture, as they say, is worth a thousand words.....

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 12:41:52 am »
riggs, i got the idea from cindi.  she's not on here much anymore. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline SerenaSYH

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 03:44:07 am »
BEAUTIFUL HIVE LINDA!!

Actually for me cameras are a fantastic way to keep happiness. On an emotional level, they are a happiness tool, a record of careful documentation and dedication. And it's a celebration when one gets to photograph a healthy, vibrant hive. Of course the easiest solution is to be married or have an s.o. who is a bee lover. One to handle the bees, the other to do the point and shoot only :D That way the camera stays clean, lol!

I think what's also so wonderful about cameras is that they preserve the exact time and date as well so that you can document easier.

If I had been a beekeeper I would have beehive prints and bees on flowers all over my house, lol! yeah, I get as excited about a bee larvae in a cell as I do over a cluster of rose hips, lol!

but seriously, I am a strong believer in photography as a journalistic tool and record about how things grow and flourish and a way to share your bee knowledge with others....

Finski, by the way, great to see you here, bringing your own perspectives, which by the way, we respect. That's what's great about forums. Everyone has a different take on things. :rainbowflower:

Offline stella

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 05:01:08 pm »
I read about taking pics on here too and had a helper snap shots for me last week of each frame, both sides, just so I could better understand what I was seeing or not seeing on my inspections. I am very new to beekeeping and the nerves sometimes cloud my memory. It has been just wonderful to relax and examine my frames from an easy chair. Also nice to be able to ask a question on here with a pic included. Thanks to whomever shared that tip.
“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence