Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Buying Paint  (Read 1179 times)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
Buying Paint
« on: June 05, 2011, 10:35:43 am »
I'm sure some of you are aware of this but this could be helpful to those who are not. Most paint stores have paint that was tinted for orders & never picked up or the customer did not like the color & did not buy it. I'm old school & only use oil base paint for anything that goes outside. My local Sherwin Williams had a gallon of forest green exterior oil paint that was never picked up. It retails for over $40.00 per gallon. I get a contractor's discount so my price would be $32.00. Since it was a rejected color I paid $3.00 for that gallon. Make sure you ask for exterior paint. I paid more for the primer.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Buying Paint
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 10:42:10 am »
good reminder.  that's how i get mine also  :-D  i use latex just because it's easier to pick up and don't bother if it's indoor or outdoor.  we also have a paint recycling place not to far away and those prices are good for 5 gallon buckets.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 11:35:55 am »
I know latex is easier but like I said, I'm old school. I apprenticed as a union carpenter under 2 german brothers & was brow-beaten into submission on how things are done. A tip though......Oil primer should be put on in thin coats
(nearly transparent). Thin the primer & finish coat with mineral spirits or better yet a product called Penetrol. The paint will flow better & you won't have as much drag on the brush. It will also dry faster. This april when I primed my hives it took a week for the paint to completely dry because it was so rainy & humid. If the base coat is not completely dry the 2nd coat will keep it from drying & guaranty your paint will fail.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 02:57:35 pm »
Free (trashed) paint is good also.   Can't beat the price.   

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 03:10:35 pm »
trash paint is o.k. if you have an idea of it's history. how old is it? if it has been open, how long has that been. did it ever freeze? a coat of bad paint that won't adhere or partially adheres can create a lot of extra work down the line. i know my properly primed & painted hives ( with a high end paint ) should be good for 5 years or more without needing repainted.

anything