Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do bees sleep? Will bees forage at night by moonlight when it's warm?  (Read 12144 times)

Offline neurobee

• New Bee
    • To Bee in the Heights
So, I've been wondering recently whether it is known if bees sleep?

Also, if there's a bright full moon, a honey flow is on, and the weather is warm that night, will bees continue to forage through the night? I've seen some of my bees coming and going (not many) at 8:30 p.m. recently when it's dusk (after sunset) and the moon is up, but not yet dark, dark night.

Anyone know?

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Foragers have a period of reduced movement and metabolism at night.  Some storage workers will continue to work drying nectar but since there is no new nectar coming in at night, some of them will also rest.  Nurse bees work constantly.

http://jeb.biologists.org/content/211/18/3028/suppl/DC1
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Anyone know?

Bees cannot work at moonlight. They become blind before a human.
You may see it yourself, how they do not find and entrance in dim light.

Some bees can work at moonlight but they are not honeybees. A. mellifera.

In Lapland we have light nights. Still bees sleep during "small hours".
Language barrier NOT included

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
I wonder how many bees dont make it back to the hive while out foraging, because of night fall? I wonder if they camp out over night and then fly back in the morning...

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
I wonder how many bees dont make it back to the hive while out foraging, because of night fall? I wonder if they camp out over night and then fly back in the morning...

If yo've ever moved a hive to a new location, miles away from its old one, you know this to be true.  If you look the next day the area will have bees search for the hive.  They got tired or camped out over night because they were to far away to rreturn before sunset.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey

If yo've ever moved a hive to a new location, miles away from its old one, you know this to be true.  If you look the next day the area will have bees search for the hive.  They got tired or camped out over night because they were to far away to rreturn before sunset.

That is so freaking cool.....

Offline Martin

• New Bee
I HAD TO SCREEN ONE HIVE A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO FOR MY NEIGHBOR TO REPLACE THIER FENCE. I WOULD GO OVER THERE AROUND 4 IN THE MORNING AND PUT THE SCREEN IN THE FRONT ENTRANCE ( HAD ALREADY TAPED THE GROOVE ON THE INNER COVER SO THEY COULD NOT USE IT ) . AROUND 10 IN THE MORNING I WOULD HAVE 15 - 20 BEES TRYING TO GET IN THE HIVE . WAS WONDERING ABOUT ROBBERS BUT THE BEES WERE GOING INTO THE FOLDED SCREEN AND TRYING TO OFF LOAD THRU THE SCREEN. SO I THINK THAT SOME GIRLS DON'T MAKE IT HOME EVERYNIGHT  :roll:

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
I HAD TO SCREEN ONE HIVE A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO FOR MY NEIGHBOR TO REPLACE THIER FENCE. I WOULD GO OVER THERE AROUND 4 IN THE MORNING AND PUT THE SCREEN IN THE FRONT ENTRANCE ( HAD ALREADY TAPED THE GROOVE ON THE INNER COVER SO THEY COULD NOT USE IT ) . AROUND 10 IN THE MORNING I WOULD HAVE 15 - 20 BEES TRYING TO GET IN THE HIVE . WAS WONDERING ABOUT ROBBERS BUT THE BEES WERE GOING INTO THE FOLDED SCREEN AND TRYING TO OFF LOAD THRU THE SCREEN. SO I THINK THAT SOME GIRLS DON'T MAKE IT HOME EVERYNIGHT  :roll:

Martin, using all capitals is considered screaming in cyber space.  It is much better to use no capitols at all, like Kathyp does, than to come across as a screamer, screaming is considered bad manners.  Just an FYI.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Martin

• New Bee
thanks, had never heard this before . sorry for being out nof line :-P

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
>So, I've been wondering recently whether it is known if bees sleep?

Well it's not like all of them sleep because it's night, but bees are known to crawl in a cell and look like they are dead for some time and then crawl back out and go to work.

http://www.bushfarms.com/huber.htm#beesinrepose

"When the workers penetrate the cells, and remain fifteen or twenty minutes motionless, I have reason to believe, it is to repose from their labours. My observations on the subject seem correct. You know, Sir, that a kind of irregular shaped cells, are frequently constructed on the panes of the hive. These, being glass on one side, are exceedingly convenient to the observe, since all that passes within is exposed. I have often seen bees enter these cells when nothing could attract them. The cells contained neither eggs nor honey, nor did they need further completion. Therefore the workers repaired thither only to enjoy some moments of repose. Indeed, they were fifteen or twenty minutes so perfectly motionless, that had not the dilation of the rings, shewed their respiration, we might have concluded them dead. The queen also sometimes penetrates the cells of the males, and continues very long motionless in them. Her position prevents the bees from paying their full homage to her, yet even then the workers do not fail to form a circle around her and brush the part of her belly that remains exposed.

"The drones do not enter the cells while reposing but cluster together on the combs; and sometimes retain this position eighteen or twenty hours without the slightest motion." --New Observations on the Natural History Of Bees by François Huber

>Also, if there's a bright full moon, a honey flow is on, and the weather is warm that night, will bees continue to forage through the night? I've seen some of my bees coming and going (not many) at 8:30 p.m. recently when it's dusk (after sunset) and the moon is up, but not yet dark, dark night.

At dusk I've seen some still returning, but not going.  I have never seen them forage on a moonlit night.  Yes I have checked.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin