Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: dead bees in feeders  (Read 8497 times)

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
dead bees in feeders
« on: April 28, 2011, 11:39:17 pm »
theres is some dead bees in my top hive feeder but i cant get to them because there on bee side and there full.  is it a big deal.  or should i dump suger water and get them out?
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: dead bees in feeders
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 11:40:32 pm »
You can always pour the syrup into a bucket and then clean it out and then refill.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 11:58:40 pm »
Forget them. If they are on the bee side, the bees will remove them.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 06:55:17 pm »
Not sure if you meant 'dumping' syrup literally or not. Dumping, spilling or even dribbling syrup anywhere around a hive is just asking for trouble.

Offline Michael Bach

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 10:35:15 pm »
I ditched my hive top feeders in about 2 days.  There are better options for packages.  I fould a lot of drowned bees and very little syrup taken.

I tried putting some sort of a float system on the bees screened sude to no avail.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 11:08:08 pm »
I dont use them anymore either (hivetops). I dont think you can beat an inverted jar over the inner cover hole.

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 04:11:46 pm »
they are a pain, when checking hives.  they are hard to move with a lot of sugar in them. everytime I open hives i get about 20 to 50 bees drown while its sitting there open. im starting to wonder if jars are better?  only advantage i see is they hold a lot of sugar water.  getting tired tired of fighting with them and cleaning them out
www.Valleybeesupply.com
Shane C.

Offline rgy

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 09:10:07 pm »
i personally like the hive top.  I put a (I think) 3/16'" wood dowel in the bee side for them to stand on with out falling into the syrup. I also ruffed up the bee side with sand paper so they can get a grip.  when I fill the feeder the dowel floats and keeps the bees out of the syrup.  I tried an entry feeder and the robbing from ferel bees was amazing.

Offline garys520

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 09:15:34 pm »
I stopped using my hive top feeders, dead bees and spilling sugar water every time I go into the hive wasn't working for me.  I switched to gallon and half gallon jars over the inner cover. 

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 11:16:38 pm »
I stopped using my hive top feeders, dead bees and spilling sugar water every time I go into the hive wasn't working for me.  I switched to gallon and half gallon jars over the inner cover. 

how did you do that, put empty hives on top?  yes im tired of it too.  i guess ill get rid of them in a week or two, girls are not taking much anyway since last fill up.  there bringing in there own food now.

ive seen the frame looking feeders that you replace one frame with. i wonder how they do?
www.Valleybeesupply.com
Shane C.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 08:46:02 am »
If you read the many, many post on the bee forums, about problems with "Miller type" Hive Top feeders, makes you wonder why people still fool with them !!!

Heavy, leaking, spilling, bees killed, etc, etc.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 10:07:11 am »

how did you do that, put empty hives on top? 

ive seen the frame looking feeders that you replace one frame with. i wonder how they do?

I use frame feeders in nucs. Since their population isnt too big, there isnt a huge mass of bees feeding at the same time lessening the chances of drowning.

On jar feeding, I place an inverted jar over the inner cover hole and then place an empty deep hive body on top of the inner cover then a lid. I have about 20 hive top feeders that are collecting dust now.

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 02:09:51 pm »
I use the Beemax feeders from Dadant.  There are a couple of drawbacks, but in general I've been really happy with them.  I never fill them up all the way so moving them for an inspection really isn't a problem.  If I'm leaving for a weekend and my husband or kids are watching the hives for me then they can add syrup without getting into the hives.

As for dead bees, if I have a hive that seems to have drowning issues, I'll go out early and just lift the divider up a bit, the fish out the dead bees.  Roughing up the sides where the bees climb does help, though.

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 12:17:28 am »
yep sounds like there going on the shelf
www.Valleybeesupply.com
Shane C.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 12:21:54 am »
I feel like a promoter for zip lock bags, but I am so absolutely SOLD on their use as a feeder!  I hived five frame nucs on the 16th of April and today I put on another 2/3 filled gallon zip lock and the bees have already taken a good six quarts each from the last two.  This has been in cold weather when the colonies I put warm syrup in jars, only took a little till the syrup got cold.  You lay the zip lock on its side on top of the cluster slowly so the bees get out of the way.  Then you carefully poke a couple 1 inch slits in the top of the bubble.  The bees take it down and I haven't drowned a bee yet!  You need to use a new bag with every feeding.  It was down below freezing every night in that time.  I put an empty shallow super on to allow room for the baggie.  PM me your email address and I will send you a picture.  I am not smart enough to post pictures here.  I am sorry if you have an investment in feeders!  Buy name brand bags and make sure they are zipped good before you lay them down.