Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Hampton, GA  (Read 2297 times)

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
Hello from Hampton, GA
« on: October 31, 2010, 02:54:59 pm »
New to the forum. I am the owner/operator of Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc and will be adding LIVE HONEYBEE REMOVAL services this spring. In truth I hope to stock my own small beeyard with ferals as I get back into beekeeping (after a nearly 25 break) as a sideline to the business. Maybe in the near future I can share these ferals with other beeks.
I am also seeking to expand services into other areas (I do claim to be full service) and am adding bat and bird house construction and installation to my repetoire in addition to the full wildlife capture and control services.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hello from Hampton, GA
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 06:37:58 pm »
Welcome.   So you were out of the bees for 25 years?  A few things have changed in that time with them.  More pests.  How close to the race track are you and what critter do you remove the most?

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 08:51:29 pm »
Two miles due south barely across the Spalding line. I do them all but it varies by season, I'll be doing squirrels grey and flying until it warms up. Then the first swarm calls will start trickiling in and then the bat work will begin in ernest with snakes all summer long. Coyotes, fox and beaver at any time.

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 08:58:18 pm »
It's been awhile since I've had the boxes in the yard. I got out just ahead of the mites (joined the service) and have not really had the time since nor the inclination. But now all that has changed since I want to offer a "kinder, gentler" type of service. I have tried to stay current over the years and am encouraged to see that it can be done without major chemical dumps into the boxes (I intend to go chemical free from the start to include foundation) with only slight adjustments (SBB, better control of supering, closer monitoring, etc.) though I must admit that what I'm learning of SHB scares the crap out of me (and I thought moths could be bad).

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 12:10:34 am »
David, welcome to our forum, glad you joined in.  Wow, been a long time since you've been active with the honeybee, still held beneath their spell for surely.  Lots of fun.  Stick around, we love new members, and I can bet my bottom dollar, you will have lots of memories and tales that you can tell us of your life amongst the bees, many years ago.  Welcome.  Have a most wonderful day, full of love and the best of health, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 08:07:54 am »
Cindi, what is it they say about being once bitten but in my case it did not make me twice shy. LOL My earliest bee memory comes from my second or third year of existance. My father, who is not a beek, let a neighbor keep a hive on the "farm" I grew up on. I remember it as clearly as if it were yesterday. My granny, my middle brother (he was just a toddler barely walking) and I were walking down the road along the side of the property and the hive was on the side of the road. I can still see the stack of white boxes and the bees festooning the entrance. It was fascinating and I can still hear granny telling me not to but I just had get a little closer. It was more than I could stand and I recall standing there and not being able to help myself I had to learn more about these things so I took a step or two closer. That's when one got in my hair on the top of my head and got me. LOL To this day if I don't wear a veil I can guarantee the top of my head will take one for the team. Good thing that hard head always does the opposite of most and instead of running or avoiding things like stings it just has to learn more about the why did it happen. I've been fascinated by the bees ever since.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 10:22:41 am »
David, what a lovely recounting of a childhood experience with your Gramma you have painted.  It took me right there, to when you were a young man, how cool is that.  Some people have a way of speaking, that make us listen, and can paint the clearest picture of a story, a memory.  Thank you for taking me down that path -- and have a most beautiful, wonderful day, of health and love, Cindii
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 10:41:51 am »
David, welcome to the forum. I already love reading about your insights and experience with wild animals.

anything