Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Candy Boards - Epic Fail  (Read 1847 times)

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
Candy Boards - Epic Fail
« on: November 06, 2010, 03:18:03 pm »
Warning to people making fondant for candy boards.  Follow the recipe!  Or experiment in SMALL batches.  I was making fondant from a recipe link posted here (first time).  I put a little lemon juice in the mix and I tested it's ability to harden and it was working just fine.  Then I decided to add some soy flour for some protein boost to the mix.  This SIGNIFICANTLY lowered the crystallization temperature.  I spent hours adding more sugar, stirring, heating, testing...    It was a late night.  I finally got it to work, and now have two candy boards each weighing close to 50 lbs. (Was planning on doing ONE that night.)  Also found out that just because fondant will harden in a small glob, does not mean that it will harden in a large pour, at least not before it seeps all over the place.  Even with pouring in just a little to seal the bottom of the board first.  The rest of the pour was still finding a way out.   Even with the mix finally hardening, I found it best to pour in small batches - like 3/4" thick.  I also discovered that it is finally right when whatever splashes up on the inside wall of the pot hardens quickly.
  Good luck everybody!  If I finally figure out the real amounts, and if it works well for the bees, I will eventually post the recipe.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
Re: Candy Boards - Epic Fail
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 03:29:03 pm »
heating sugar with an acid (lemon juice) will form HMF (which is toxic to bees).  the longer (and higher) the heat is applied, the more hmf will form.

if you have a recipie that you know to be safe and you change the heating time significantly (especially if there is an acid present), it may no longer be safe.

deknow

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 03:39:57 pm »
So the people adding lemon juice to the syrup recipes are o.k. because is isn't heated in their case?  Just trying to get things straight here...

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 04:43:33 pm »
Also, amount of lemon juice (straight, not concentrated) that I added turned out to be about two tablespoons to over ten gallons of finished product.  I'm hoping that that amount shouldn't pose a danger to the bees?

JC

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 05:00:29 pm »
people add acid to syrup for several reasons.

the only time i ever made fondant, i did not use any acid.

i don't know the recipe that you used, but if it comes from a trusted source and includes acid, the extra "hours of heating" could be a problem.

if the recipe didn't include the acid, and you added it because you've seen it in unheated syrup formulations, then you are in uncharted waters...and there may well be a good reason that the original recipe didn't include the acid.

it's all up to you, but if you don't know what you are doing and you are feeding the result to bees in the winter, you might find out the downsides to your experementation the hard way.  if it were me, i'd start over following the directions from a trusted source, and follow the directions.

deknow

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 07:01:44 pm »
heating sugar with an acid (lemon juice) will form HMF (which is toxic to bees).  the longer (and higher) the heat is applied, the more hmf will form.
deknow

now have two candy boards each weighing close to 50 lbs.
:shock:

Hope you find its Bee safe
If not you find another use
opposed to Trash can

Good Luck

Tom
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

anything