Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 8 hives to 5 and an old queen nuc  (Read 1894 times)

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
8 hives to 5 and an old queen nuc
« on: September 07, 2010, 01:53:27 am »
I've had a bad day  :'(  Went to inspect today and replace a lid on a hive.  The one hive had a lid that was the wood and tin type and the last time I inspected I noticed that small ants had taken up residence between the wood and the tin.  So I have spent the last week whipping out a replacement lid (Three coats of paint,just wood).  You guessed it - went to switch lids and they had absconded.  Inspected the rest of my and my son's hives.  One that was small but doing o.k. had been knocked over by our escapee pony one night.  I had put it back together but it took a big hit.  Today it had one skimpy frame of bees and the queen sitting on a pathetic little patch of brood.  My son's biggest hive had no honey, hardly any pollen, hardly any brood, and that here and there.  It was the hive we bought in the Spring, no idea how old the queen was.  So we pulled that queen and two frames of bees (still a lot of bees in the hive) and put her in a nuc as a backup.  Did a newspaper combine with little pathetic hive (That hive was a queenless swarm that I re queened off a frame of eggs and brood that I had pulled off my son's hive that I just mentioned.)  Hopefully it will take.

I should have pulled the lid and just thrown on a piece of plywood short term.

Does the steep learning curve ever end?

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
Re: 8 hives to 5 and an old queen nuc
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 02:04:40 am »
it gets a lil easier, but the learning curve never ends

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 08:04:39 am »
as Robert Earl Keen wrote....

the road goes on forever and the party never ends....
I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 08:11:59 am »
Sorry to hear about your losses.
What kind of ants and what kind of problems do they cause the bees?
Several of my colonies cohabit with ants with seemingly no ill effects.

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 02:56:21 pm »
Sorry to hear about your day, JC.  But you and your son hang in there, there will be balance and the awesome days will come back around!

What did the pony think of the bees after the hive went down?  My horse was in the flight path of a swarm one day and didn't think too much of that at all! 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 05:38:22 pm »
>Does the steep learning curve ever end?

No.  That's what makes bees so addictive... you never stop learning.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 01:34:20 am »
I don't known what exact species the ants were, they were small and brown and going after the honey.  The bees seemed to avoid them, maybe they gave off a lot of formic acid or something.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

anything