Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: wax on, wax off... Mann Lake PF100 frames  (Read 2345 times)

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
wax on, wax off... Mann Lake PF100 frames
« on: June 23, 2010, 10:37:16 pm »
  I'm looking at the Mann Lake PF100 frames for use in a brood nest.  They are plastic covered in beeswax with a cell size of 4.9mm.  What is your opinion and experience with these?  Does the wax come off over time?  If so, does that affect their function?  Can you replace the wax and still get the same cell size?
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: wax on, wax off... Mann Lake PF100 frames
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 04:18:43 am »
The cell size is more like 4.95mm.  They are well accepted and the bees build them fine.  The wax does not come off unless the bees are removing it or it's out in the weather.  It will not affect function but will affect acceptance.  Adding wax has no affect on cell size.  The center of the outline is the center of the cell wall so from center of wall to center of wall will not change and the thickness of the wall is consistent so that will not change.  Therefore there is no change in cell size from coating with more wax, if you desire.  I have not found more wax needed.  They accept them very well as is.  My guess is because of the cell size, but whatever the cause they are well accepted.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 01:53:34 pm »
When you say they are accepted, that is by the natural cell size bees you have, right?  What happens if you put 5.4mm cell bees on the PF100 frames?  Do they make any progress toward smaller cells?

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 02:12:51 pm »
I have found that my bees needed more wax on the foundation before they would adequately pull them out. I used about a pound of wax for 10 deep frames. I used a foam roller to apply the hot wax.

The one hive I had with all PF100s went south for the winter and when they came back this late spring, the bees were noticeably smaller. The bees originally came from a swarm, but were re-queened with a Northern California Italian queen, when they lost their virgin queen in mid-July after their final swarm.

I also have the undrawn PF100s intermixed in new deeps with foundationless frames. They drew out the additionally coated PF100s first, then built foundation in the open frames.

My limited experiences.

Jay

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 01:19:43 pm »
>When you say they are accepted, that is by the natural cell size bees you have, right?

No.  I mean a large cell package installed directly on Mann Lake PF100s or PF120s.

> What happens if you put 5.4mm cell bees on the PF100 frames?

Usually they draw them perfectly.

> Do they make any progress toward smaller cells?

In one fell swoop.  Instant regression.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 02:48:45 pm »
Wow.  Well, I just got my order of 30 PF100 frames so I will have to give this a try.

anything