Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Holding honeycombs during cutout  (Read 2393 times)

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
Holding honeycombs during cutout
« on: June 01, 2010, 03:12:52 am »
I noticed in cutout videos posted by JP and others, where they are holding the comb and shaking the bees off. Are the combs pretty tough or are they fragile? I assume recently constructed combs are more fragile and can fall apart if held wrong?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Holding honeycombs during cutout
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 07:48:43 am »
Newer comb sections, really white ones especially ones top heavy with honey usually fall apart on you. Hard to even hold those let alone try and shake them. The older they get, the more rigid they get.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 02:36:00 pm »
Ah ok, cool. Thanks

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 03:33:15 pm »
~Visions of JP just shaking those combs going through my head........~ :evil:

The temperature also makes even the most solid combs less stable....especially if the sun is shining down on them for very long.

Brenda

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 04:26:52 pm »
"The temperature also makes even the most solid combs less stable....especially if the sun is shining down on them for very long."

Very true. I did one about a week ago (haven't posted pictures of that one yet) old dark comb removed from the underside of a flat roof. It was very warm that day. Even those combs grew soft, but still workable.

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 01:58:02 am »
Sometimes the soft comb works in your favor. Occasionally, I'll have old wired frames with the foundation missing. I just can press the new white comb into the wired frame and it will stick to the wires. Otherwise the rubber band holding method would not work.

But most of the time, the fragile combs are a PitA to deal with. They fall apart if you don't use a dustpan to hold them.
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

anything