Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can my wild hive be moved?  (Read 4706 times)

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
Re: Can my wild hive be moved?
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 06:54:12 am »
Just cutting and dropping the tree would no doubt doom the colony.  The options are limited on this one.  A trap-out isn't feasible due to the distance for me to travel, plus the logistics of placing a hive box at that height.  I doubt you have a crane handy to lift and safely lower that section of the tree to the ground to be worked as a cut-out.  The only other option is to have a beekeeper climb to the colony and remove it.  That would require scaffolding, which I do not have.  It couldn't be done on a ladder, just due to the amount of equipment needed.  If you could find the scaffolding, I'm quite sure I could be convinced to drive up over a weekend and remove them.  We like to camp, so we could make it a working weekend campout! 

Offline crcurrie

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 08:20:48 am »
Lenape13, thanks for describing the logistical challenges involved -- now I understand why the local beekeepers aren't eager to do this. 

We were originally going to use this tree as the upper anchor for a zip line.  I was intending to purchase an aluminum deer stand from Walmart that we would erect next to the tree to serve as a launch platform.  That stand would actually give you a platform at standing height under the hive opening, if I'm not mistaken.  I'll probably buy the stand for the alternate anchor tree.  If we get this stand and put it up, at least temporarily, under this tree, would that be a workable solution? 

If you like to fish for trout, the state fish and game commission dumps a truckload of them in each of the two streams right at the upstream border of our property in April.  I'm told the fishermen stand shoulder to shoulder on our stream banks on stocking day, and then you never see another fisherman for the rest of the season (why, I don't know, because the fishing is great all year long).  You might want to come up the second day after stocking ...  :-D  Should warn you, though, PennDOT is replacing one of the bridges right now, so there's heavy equipment working there -- a little less than serene at the moment ...

I see you're from Belle Vernon -- pretty area.  I bought an old flail mower from a guy down there.  As I recall, it was a couple hours' drive back up I-79 ...

Chris

Chris

Offline surjourner

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 12:09:34 am »
If you are talking of a colony inside a hollow of that tree other than picture you posted it is possible to fall a tree and not hurt colony.

I helped my Grandad do so years ago. It was one of most gentle and biggest producers of honey we had.

Trick is to get some one who knows what they are doing in timber felling. If they are good and it is a calm day they should be able to fall it in a direction and gentle enough to keep from harming them much at all.

If worried about it still, one could top tree out above hive determine how far down it goes and cut below it while holding it up, then lower with a boom or block and tackle etc.
After that is done you could just set it out with a top on it off ground which won't harm them at all and they should stay for many more years.

Where there is a will there is a way.

Offline crcurrie

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 12:25:06 am »
Intriguing, Surjourner!  I'm no civil engineer, though -- is it possible to do this without a crane??  The hive is probably 15-20' up ... -- Chris

anything