Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: wax foundation  (Read 1670 times)

Offline wetland bee

• New Bee
wax foundation
« on: January 06, 2010, 07:19:18 pm »
Anyone ever make a device for making wax foundation.
Russ

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: wax foundation
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 01:47:05 pm »
Of course you can buy the presses for about $2000 or slightly less.  But people also make molds out of various things.  I much prefer to not use foundation.  It's much easier to not make it than to make it.  :)  The bees do better without it.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline wetland bee

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:07:59 pm »
I have always used full sheets. old habits you know. But I never get rid of combs unless of course  a frame would break or something. but with all we have been hearing I believe I am going to use the 3 different color tack idea and dispose of 1 color every year. Its going to be tough to throw out a perfectly good comb.

You said not to use wax. I have 510 frames built for spring. I was thinking about a 1inch wide strips of comb honey foundation wax as starter and run the two wires length ways. But not sure, have read so many ideas on foundationless frames I defiantly would like to try .
Russ

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 01:44:57 pm »
I prefer wood, but wax strips work.  They are just more fragile and don't work any better than the wood.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin