Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Bee Yard - Moving questions  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
New Bee Yard - Moving questions
« on: December 10, 2009, 04:25:06 am »
I've finally acquired a beeyard nearby. Within 2 km of my work. Its about 10 of undeveloped land in an urban area. I'm counting on longer honeyflows due to people watering.

My current (old) yard is a 45 minute drive and frankly due to the resources needed to get there and back I didn't visit as much as I should.  Consequentially, all 3 of my nucs failed this summer during the drought.

So is there any reason to leave any hives behind when I'm moving to this new outyard?

Should I wait until spring to move them?

Should I move them on a cold day when they aren't flying or a warm one?

Suddenly, I don't think I know as much as I did last month...

Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: New Bee Yard - Moving questions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 08:25:51 am »
Ideally, I like to move them after they've been confined by cold for 72 hours or more and move them on a moderately cold day.  Like 30 or 40 F so they have a chance to climb back up if they fall off the cluster.  But you can move them anytime. If it's flying temperatures at the time, I'd leave one hive for last or move them after dark.  Since I often have to do this by myself, I like to load the hives on my trailer during the day when it's warm enough to fly, a box at a time and then wait until after dark for them all to be back inside and then close them up and move them.  Then park the trailer there and wait until daylight and warm weather again and move them a box at a time to their final destination.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 03:59:09 pm »
The next question is more a social engineering question.  I've already have the old outyard secured and have 2 years of relationship with the rancher.  It's not a great location, far from home. Short honey flows I've seen. But the honey is good, and there is a good goldenrod flow.

Should I leave behind a hive or two to preserve the relationship?
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 07:38:57 pm »
>Should I leave behind a hive or two to preserve the relationship?

It's nice to have outyards so you have options in the future.  But that's up to you.  If it's a long drive, you probably won't take very good care of any hives there.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 08:12:17 pm »
Not unless he wants to learn to care for them.  Then it might make sense if you have 10 or more hives. Less that that, NO.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*