Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Stuck together frames in the brood box.  (Read 5654 times)

Offline Michael Judd

• New Bee
Stuck together frames in the brood box.
« on: June 16, 2009, 07:20:56 am »

Can any one give me some help, please.
I have 2 hives that I got in May from an Apiculteur locally. Yes I am a newbee

When I got them home the bees had well filled out about 6 frames.
Within a few weeks they has got to 8/9 frames.
I added a super on each hive.

My problem is that during the first month I had much dificulty in keeping my smoker alight. Of course I was rather (English understatement) nervous of opening up and inspecting.

Now I am more confident I am more happy with my inspections.

Yesterday I removed the excluders and swapped frames between bottom and top supers on both hives. Following advise from this forum.

At the same time I took a look and tried to move/ lift out some of the original frames in the bottom supers. My queen supplier put in 5 frames.

I realize that reading all the books etc that I should have been keeping the frames free and inspecting every one each week.

I did not do this. Please don't punish me!

So now next week I am thinking I need to start a programme of freeing and inspecting each frame in the lower supers. There are possibly about 5/6 frames like this in each super - the ones on the outside are free as I have been watching them closely.

Do I need to free them.
Is it a good idea to do what I suggest above, Or what do you suggest

Thank you
Michael

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Stuck together frames in the brood box.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 08:30:30 am »
Michael,

Bees stick things together, (frames, supers, tops, etc.) it is normal. I would not take the frames out unless you feel a need. If you feel a need, don't hesitate to gently pry them apart. Don't over manage them. I did this when I first got started and my actions sometimes hurt my bees progress. I would look in weekly to check on their progress in filling out frames. If the hive is growing, I would do a full inspection much less often.

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 08:59:01 am »
Some bees/race of bees propolize more than others. It's a natural thing.

I use the Italian hive tool. It is real handy in prying stuck frames once you get the hang of it. Would not go back to the old standard hive tool. Only when I misplace my Italian :-D

You do not need to inspect every week all season. But if you enjoy it by all means do it. Because the whole point is to learn and enjoy :).
John 3:16

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 10:28:21 am »
Good advice, I love my italian hive tool and even though I bought several hive tools to try this is the only one I use.
Once I tried it I just gave up on the others.
Anyway, Michael if you need to seperate those frames during an inspection, to check for eggs, brood etc.
Just put the end of your hive tool between the wooden part of 2 frames and pry apart.
If you look down in between the combs and can see that they built comb outwards off of one comb attaching it to another just slide the blunt end of the tool down to seperate the comb before you pry the frames apart or you can rip a section of comb off a frame.
I have also used the hook end to do this, I slide that down and pull it upwards under the bridge comb and it seperates it and you get the piece of comb out instead of it falling to the bottom of the hive.
Don't be afraid to take the frames apart to inspect, it will help you catch things you may otherwise miss.
I inspect my hives once a week after installing them in the hives but once they have the hang of things I try to be less invasive and do a quick check without disturbing them too much.
I will pull out frames until I see eggs and brood though, once I find at least one frame of them I stop pulling frames. Sometimes I see them on the first frame I pull and then I just peek down to see if they have enough space or if I need to add a box.
If something doesn't seem right then I will keep looking around.
You want to at least make sure the hive is queen right before it gets out of control.
Its good to also keep an eye out for queen cells, swarm cells etc. then you can do a split to avoid a swarm.
Do whatever you are comfortable with, if you feel the need to inspect more because it will put you at ease then by all means do that.
I found that in the beginning I needed to know what was going on all the time because I was afraid I would miss a sign and screw up the hive so it was hard for me to stay out of the hives, I still only went in them once a week but it drove me crazy wondering what they were up to, but after they filled out an entire brood box and got going on the second one just fine I relaxed alot and let them do their thing.
This is suppose to be fun for you so do what makes you happy.

The italian hive tool if you are interested.
 http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Italian-Hive-Tool/productinfo/591/

Offline Michael Judd

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 11:20:03 am »
Wow
Thanks
that is great.  I feel a lot better now.
I love this site

I already have an Italian hive tool.

thanks for you help all of you

Michael

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 02:08:48 am »
Keeping a new smoker lit can be frustrating.  Break in the smoker by building a fire in it with the top open and let it burn until it is out of fuel.  To make it easier to light tip it on it's side and light the fuel.  Once it has started burning all across the smoker  tip it back up right, give a few puffs with the bellows, push the fuel down with more fuel and close the lid.  Puff it some more.  Short rapid puffs will build the fire, slow deep puffs blows smoke.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything