Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Big Swarm!  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
Big Swarm!
« on: May 05, 2009, 11:22:32 am »
I had a call yesterday morning from a lady who had 'lots of bees' hanging in one of her trees and she wanted them 'gone'....'please?'

I drove the twenty plus miles one way to find a beautiful extra large cluster on a tree branch right next to her bedroom window! About 8 feet off of the ground....I wish that they were all that easy to get. I had them off of the branch and into a hive body within minutes and they all crawled right in with the queen....I got her on the second shake. She seems to be a very fat and dark colored Russian.

The couple had been out in the yard and seen the swarm arrive. They also pointed out a hole in a limb high up in a large white oak tree. Sure enough, that is where they came from. I am thinking about doing a trapout, as they do not want them there either....but that depends on if I can can get a tree trimmer who has a bucket truck for that one...too high for ladders and I am not that crazy yet.

The home owners had thought the bees would 'move on' and when they stayed there several days, they got worried. The swarm had arrived on the morning of the 1st of May. They said they even had a ladder that I could use and to 'please hurry'! Of course the girls were hungry and very cranky when I got there....so I had to use a veil and jacket....and got only one sting on my hand when I put on my glove, as there was a bee in my glove...how it got there I have not a clue, as the gloves were in my truck.

While I was there waiting and watching the swarm move into the hive body, I could see lots of the workers shaking their behinds up in the air....scenting!   ahhh, now that really made me feel good that they liked their new home. All was going very well....but it got better before I left!

Like I said, I wish that they were all this easy!

Oh yes, the best part is that I had my work done before noon, so the couple asked, or more like demanded that I stay for grilled Black Angus rib eyes and all the extras!

I wish they were all like that!

Brenda

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Big Swarm!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 12:51:57 pm »
sounds like you had a fun one!  one great swarm like that makes up for some of the crappy calls you'll get during the year!  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 03:07:48 pm »
For once, I met 'nice people'....there are still a few out there. This one was unique. The lady also took pictures of the removal, as her sister requested it. She is a teacher at one of the schools and wanted to show it to the chlidren in her class. I hope the camera did not make my butt look big!  :-D

Brenda

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 08:55:34 pm »
Congratulations!! Brenda on catching your swarm
I hope you can post some picture of the swarm
I hope there will be many more swarms come your way

Johnny

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 12:02:37 am »
She is a teacher at one of the schools and wanted to show it to the chlidren in her class. I hope the camera did not make my butt look big!  :-D
Brenda

Brenda, oh that sounds cute  :) ;).  What a great swarm to catch, simplicity, lovely.  And then for that great barbequed dinner, hey, what a day and what more could you ask for, beauty!!!  Keep on keepin' on.  Have that most awesomely wonderful day, life and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 04:57:28 pm »
I just had another call about a swarm...so I went to check it out.....NOT honey bees! Bumble bees!   :roll: The man who called me about them told me that they were honey bees and that he was 100% sure of it. He had the local high school biology teacher take look at them to make sure.  :shock:

I need to make a visit to this biology teacher!

Brenda

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 07:20:55 pm »
can't beat that, free bees and dinner to boot.

sounds like they need a quart of honey come fall.

you mean you don't put up bumbles?? just kidding.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 11:15:00 am »

you mean you don't put up bumbles?? just kidding.

G3

Well, bumbles are better than yellow jackets! :-D

Brenda

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 12:42:33 am »
Great job there!!! Thats how my first well..... and only so far swarm was, right there eye level.  If thats all I could get that would bee great.  Again congrats.
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...