Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: To whom to give the assets from the dead hives  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
To whom to give the assets from the dead hives
« on: February 20, 2009, 09:59:33 pm »
I now have 23 frames of fully drawn pf-100 from Mann-Lake in the freezer. All are either full or partially full in the case of the brood comb with honey. I have three packages on the way (they are from Walter Kelley and therefore likely large cell bees).  I also have two five frame nucs from fatbeeman on the way.  These are small cell.  So, should I spread the drawn comb among the packages or the nucs?  My thinking is that if I give it to the packages, the queens will lay in fully drawn 4.95 cm cells (pretty close to small cell), and the next generation of bees should be smaller than those that came in the package. The nucs being already small cell bees should draw natural cell without the need for regression.  Is this thinking correct?  On the other hand, I was also thinking that if I gave the frames to the nucs, I might actually get a honey crop.  What should I do?
Brian

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
Re: To whom to give the assets from the dead hives
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 03:54:38 am »
By my math I hear that you are getting 5 colonies in one shape or form.
You also have approximately 20 drawn frames.

It would be my advice to spread them around (4 to each).
Your packages will appreciate immediate laying space.
Your nucs will appreciate additional laying space.
The results of both will be increases in population that will assure the best acceptance by all.

However, be warned. You are working on plastic. And some colonies can get a hair up their butt and avoid it all costs. So be prepared that if the frames do not appear to be gaining use within a week or two time, yank them, give them to those that do use them, and immediately introduce your alternative of choice.

If everything works well, you will begin to see all colonies equalize near the end of the first flow.
If not, then manually equalize to avoid summer dearth robbing.

You can avoid dwelling on cell size issue.
You are working on your desired cell size frames (so you won't inhibit your regression).
Acceptance issues arise later when established and 'beggers can be choosers'.
Keeping them fed and building comb will minimize how 'choosey' the bees can be.
But likewise, do not plug them with too much syrup.
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.