Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Big swarm catch question.  (Read 3154 times)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Big swarm catch question.
« on: July 24, 2008, 10:37:23 pm »
 Ok, I just went out and caught a swarm.
I thought it looked pretty big at first but it got bigger by the time I got to go catch it! :-D
At any rate, When I shook the limb, Paul said it felt like i dropped a basketball in the box!
 So,....They're in the box (1 deep)..They're also bearding out front of the box too...They went in on new, undrawn, plastic foundation...But I'm kinda thinking there may be too many bees for this one box..I mean, at first, when going to get ready for catching them, I thought about going to walmart and getting a garbage can to knock them into.Instead I knocked them into a box about the size of a deep 4 times.Then they kept flying in...I thought they would never stop! They just seemed to be dropping from the "Heavens"!
Well, anyways, I dont want to look in there yet to see how crowded it is...Whattaya think?..Should I give 'em a few days to build, or just go for it, open it up, take a look, and add another deep if needed?
I dont want to lose this one because it seems to me that theres as many bees in it as about 3 of my other hives put together.
your friend,
john

Offline broke-t

• New Bee
Re: Big swarm catch question.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 11:25:17 pm »
I don't know about the second box but I would definately put a queen excluder between the bottom board and the hive body.

We learned the hard way.  Caught a really nice swarm a few weeks ago.  Checked the next morning and everything looked great.  Went by at noon and they were gone.

Johnny

Offline Hivehead

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 11:28:46 pm »
I was thinking the same thing about the queen excluder and just leave em bee to do their thing, especially if it's only foundation they have in the box.  I'm limited to space and only have one hive from a puny swarm and am probably lucky they stayed with only foundation in a deep and only covered three frames.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 12:06:37 am »
yep, this time i did use an excluder :)
your friend,
john

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 06:12:04 am »
I have caught big swarms were I had to use a deep and medium, Dwight porter caught one this year that 2 deeps was barely enough, he said the swarm was 2 feet across at top and huge down almost 4 feet. there is a such thing as not enough room  ;) , but you have to judge.

another thing is plastic foundation this late in the year in my opinion is a bad Idea because bee's are slow about drawing it out in the spring, they might do good but running out of time, if you have some drawn foundation to give them would be best, put a honey super on them if you have one (drawn out ).
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 12:46:36 pm »
i added a 2nd box to my big swarm.  still plenty of time to draw out 2 if they want to and they needed the space!

http://picasaweb.google.com/pearce.km/BigSwarm
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 03:01:14 pm »
Give them another box and feed. A swarm will draw that out quickly and its hot where you are too much room is less of an issue initially. Love big swarms. My biggest was two copy boxes, which was a deep and a medium right from begining.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 07:00:55 pm »
Ok, I got it all in my head!
Our forum "Swarm King" ( JP ) straightened me out about the excluder about a week ago when i was chasing the same bunch of bees(the trailor bees) over and over. I think I'll refer to them now as the "Boomerang bees"!
hey Kathy!!.I have several hives the same color as yours!
Me too Johnny!.I caught 2 swarms in one day, probably from my hives.Then, a few hours later they were gone...then a few hours later, one was back.Then, the next day after work, I looked....They were gone again......No excluder in one of them and in the other box I did have an excluder, but i think somehow the queen got through, because the bees were all on the wrong side of the excluder(on the floor) so i took out the excluder.I guess that will be referred to now as the "Boomerang Excluder"!
Ok,...Gotta go do the bee stuff.....I will put another box on WITH drawn comb.
youre right though about the "Not too much room"..Its gonna be warm here at least until the end of December I bet..The summer lasts longer year after year.Halloween used to be when it would cool off.

your friend,
john

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 07:03:05 pm »
oops paint.  5 dollars a gallon.  home depot.  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 08:26:31 pm »
I guess I was lucky, caught 9 swarms this year, never used an excluder, and never had one take off. I guess they liked their new accommodations with starter strips. :P

"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 12:12:52 am »
Ok,..Looked in, added a medium, fed with a top feeder.
Life is GOOOD!!
(i hope they are still there tomorrow morning)
your friend,
john

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 11:12:48 am »
it is also good to add a frame of brood from another hive when you catch a swarm, this will also lock them in, it is best to do both if you can, excluder and frame of brood.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 10:37:00 pm »
Congratulations on the swarm :)

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 11:11:27 pm »
SWEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 09:01:36 pm »
SWEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

I love that, when I saw it that brought a beautiful smile to my face, how sweet!!!  Beautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service