Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another newbee query -- sorry!  (Read 1825 times)

Offline josbees

• House Bee
Another newbee query -- sorry!
« on: July 28, 2008, 08:23:19 pm »
My strong hive is doing great.  A while ago I switched to a SBB and swiftly realized I had it on upside down, since the reducer would not fit when the time comes.  So this morning I did a swift lift and turn and got the SBB right side up.  Now I see that because of that there is basically another entrance at the back end of the hive (I removed the plastic insert to give the girls some air, but even if I had not, thre would still be a lot of space).  So my duh question -- am I back to front or upside down?  With Screened Bottom Boards is it usual to have the back end open to the extent that you could actually fit a reducer in there as well as at the front? 

Do I need to go back in and do another swift switcheroo?

Thanks as always.....

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
Re: Another newbee query -- sorry!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 08:31:02 pm »
my SBB's fit like solid BB's do with no entrance at the back. it sounds like you have it upside down now which really isn't bad except that its nice to stand out of the traffic when working the bees. for me that means i work them from the back of the hive.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:50:46 pm »
Josbees.  No "duh" names for questions here, hee, hee  ;) :) :)  There is no dumb question.  If all of us ever told the stories of the booboos that we have made, the forum would be over run, hee, hee.  Ask you questions, always, that is how we learn, stand back, learn and learn some more.  Have the best of a most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline josbees

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 08:56:04 pm »
Maybe I got a bad SBB.  Cos when I first had it on, htere was not nearly enough room for the entrance reducer at the front.  That's why I did the switcheroo and turned it the other way up.  So I guess I need to switch it back and somehow reinvent my reducer to fit the front.....oh my, it never ends......

Offline josbees

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 10:08:18 pm »
So Duh again (thanks Cindi).  I assumed that with the SBB, it should be placed so that the screen is above the removable plastic board.  Yes?  No?

If I'm going to be moving things around again, should I get hold of a sticky board?

Thanks.  Always.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 10:52:12 pm »
the SBB's I have have a slot formed by metal runners that the sticky board slides into. Some of my older ones have twine that the sticky board rests on. the screen goes above the sticky board.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 11:38:58 pm »
when you look at your SBB, there should be a part in the front that has wood.  that is the porch.  the hive body fits evenly on the back and sides with the porch sticking out.  not a good picture i know, but if the body is all the way to the back, you should see what i mean.

not a stupid question.  i have actually done the same :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.