Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drone cell pattern  (Read 1392 times)

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
Drone cell pattern
« on: July 15, 2008, 10:25:07 am »
Is there a typical "pattern" to drone cells on a frame?  I had a laying worker hive and saw what happened with all the drone cells popping up.  I went thru the process of eliminating the laying worker(s) and added a queen and she was good for a couple of weeks... I did a brief inspection yesterday (no veil or smaoke... just a peek) and I didnt see the  queen but noticed capped drone cells scattered about......I always thought they were grouped on the edges or in one area on the frame.   Any input is appreciated!  THanks!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Drone cell pattern
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 10:27:16 pm »
Is there a typical "pattern" to drone cells on a frame?  I had a laying worker hive and saw what happened with all the drone cells popping up.  I went thru the process of eliminating the laying worker(s) and added a queen and she was good for a couple of weeks... I did a brief inspection yesterday (no veil or smaoke... just a peek) and I didnt see the  queen but noticed capped drone cells scattered about......I always thought they were grouped on the edges or in one area on the frame.   Any input is appreciated!  THanks!

With a laying worker hive you'll find capped drones in worker cells and just about anywhere on the frame.  Usually drone cells are located to the ends or bottoms on the frames but when repairing broken comb the bees often fix it with drone or storage sized cells.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!