Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: price for honey  (Read 2502 times)

Offline catfishbill

• House Bee
price for honey
« on: July 11, 2008, 07:03:08 pm »
hey everyone i would like to get some input for prices for 1 pt mason jars full which weigh approx 2lbs and for 12oz bears.thanks
bill

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: price for honey
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:07:37 pm »
One pint masons are usually considered to be 22 oz. Anywhere from $5 to $8 for the pt with $6-6.50 being a common price in my area.
John 3:16

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 07:23:44 pm »
My pints have been selling good for $6.00. I just harvested again and plan to go up to $7.00.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 07:48:54 pm »
There's already an extensively replied to thread on pricing. Maybe keep it all in one place?

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,16560.0.html
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 07:41:10 am by eri »
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 01:57:17 am »
Double check health food staores, local grocery stores, sometimes nurseries and specialty stores that may have some 'local' honey on sale.  Also ABJ and Bee Culture have a list range for regions of the country. 
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 07:46:48 pm »
I sell my 1lb jars for $7 and my 12oz bears for $6. I've been told by other beekeepers in the area that my price is a dollar too low. I have no trouble selling every jar I can get.

Offline DBoire

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 09:09:52 am »
Price is so location dependent, here in the suburbs of NYC 1 lb. jar sells for 6.50 - 7.50, Bulk is 4.50/lb.

db

Offline jason58104

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 11:20:24 am »
Here in NW Iowa prices are a little lower.  I have been selling 1 1/2 bears for 6 dollars.  Mabey I  am a little low :? :?

Offline jason58104

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 11:21:57 am »
P.S.   If you subcribe to either American Bee Journal or Bee Culture the recent market price ranges are published monthly.

Offline DBoire

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 01:17:36 pm »
Bee Culture has prices listed as "RETAIL SHELF PRICES"  now, I'm not sure if this is your local A&P etc, blended or the prices on the local honey?  My guess, Mass market large retail shops for blended honey.  If one goes into "Mrs. Greens" the prices are higher for "specialty " Raw, etc.  Now, what does this mean in terms of price for "local" "floral" , Raw honey form the beekeeper?
I've had people say "that's all it costs!" at 7.00 /lb in glass,..

The regions are also suspect in terms of pricing.  The range alone in NY, down here in the City area, $7.00 /lb,.. Up in ADK and Champlain Valley on Canadian border,.. 3.50/lb.

As a comparative annual pricing it helps- what's up, down.

I take the price in my local A&P, and double it, and round to the nearest 50 cents. (generally up ;))

db