Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nuc?  (Read 2030 times)

Offline homer

• House Bee
Nuc?
« on: June 18, 2008, 10:26:02 pm »
So I am readling lots on here about "nucs".  Is it just a very small hive, or is there more to it than that?

Also, could someone tell me what SHB larvae is please!

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Re: Nuc?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 11:01:06 pm »
A nuc could be described as a very small hive, but it is really the nucleus of a hive: the core if you will. Often a nuc consists of five frames of honey and brood as well as the bees that would cover those frames.  A nuc is not a full hive that will over-winter, but given sufficuent time, it will grow into such a hive.  Consider a nuc an intermediate step between a package and a fully developed hive.  Nucs serve other purposes as well, I understand, such as swarm prevention and providing resources for emergency situations, bit others are far more knowledgable about these things than I.
Brian

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:01:26 am »
SHB Small Hive Beetle

For a good idea about a nuc  check this out=
  www.gabees.com/store/index.php?cPath=40&osCsid=e809a03df99c6ae4ef5d80d6d102e0ae   

Offline knob21

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 12:02:50 am »
So it would be a good idea to always have an empty one on hand?

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 09:47:38 pm »
An empty one and a full one. If a hive goes queenless, you've got a ready replacement. Let the nuc raise a new one, or let it sit without one while you order a new one. The empties are great for splitting down a hive that's going to swarm...make sure the queen and some bees go into a nuc, then you can split up the rest of the frames with a swarm cell each, and have a bunch that in a month or so will be ready to go into full hives.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 12:22:50 am »
Nuc boxes are really handy.  Not only for making splits but also for capturing swarms, mating queens etc.  I recommend keeping a few five frame models on hand.

David   

anything