Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: how does this work  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
how does this work
« on: June 16, 2008, 05:37:12 pm »
This is my first year with bees. Most everywhere I have read says that the first year you should leave all honey for the bees, which is okay and what I planned to do. I have one hive that has 2.5 supers full of capped honey on it I already took one full super off and crushed and strained it then put it back on they have drawn that one and that is the .5 of the 2.5 supers. My question is do I remove all these supers and harvest so my bees can go into the winter with 2 deeps? Or, do I leave it all on there and let them over winter in 2deeps plus at least 3 supers probably more (we have goldenrod flow still to come and also soybean and pepper vine) do I just harvest away or can I move some of the honey to my other less active hives? What do yall think?

Keith

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: how does this work
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 10:20:34 pm »
If you have full supers on your deeps, you can take them for yourself. The bees will be just fine with what they can store in the two deeps.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 10:25:51 pm »
First year hive and you already have 2 deeps full of come, plus supers? Wow that's a pretty good hive.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 08:52:30 am »
I have four hives. the booming hive are russians they are far and away the best of these hives. two others (feral) have two deeps almost full and one other russian hive has 3/4of a super and two deeps full. glad to know I can pull off all the extra honey.

Keith