Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ants  (Read 2030 times)

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
Ants
« on: June 09, 2008, 08:59:50 pm »
Hive #1
3 Week old package started on foundationless frames:

I though i got all the ants,because i went in 2 days ago and there was none on top of the inner cover. But yesterday it was raining and not to many bees were out so i popped the top and there was all the those ants with there eggs. So tonight at 7:00 when there wasn't much activity i took the inner cover that had all the ants on it and switched and got away from the hives and then ran it about 100' away and set it down and went back to the hive and decided since i already had the cover off i mies well do a quick inspection, as soon as i took out the center frame those bees came flying out at me, so i took a quick glance (there was a baby drone hatching on that frame) then i slowly backed away from the hives tell some of the bees left and then went back and looked at the frames that i swapped to stop the bees from drawing double comb, and alls good they finally are drawing all the frames out straight but a little off center. So i shut that hive up and went to the next door one.

Hive #2
1 month old split:

This hive is right next door and only had about 4 ants on the top that i smashed. This hive also has a bit of burr comb on it which i understand is normal, but my first hive has no burr comb, it maybe because they are started on foundationless and are filling the frames. I have one medium honey super on hive that from last inspection they had not started filling or moved up into. They have about 10 cells in the center frame with nectar. There was a considerable amount of more bees up there compared to the last inspection. There is no brood in these frames, so i am concluding that these bees are just going to stay to one brood box.

Now for the questions:
Will the bees in hive #2 ever use another brood box for babies?
Once they fill this honey super about 8:10 frames should i put another brood box underneath the super or just stick with adding the supers on?

Sorry about the long post/updates Ive been doing. I just want to tell what i have been doing in my hives and make sure that i am on the right track with my bees, please tell me if i am doing anything wrong.

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Re: Ants
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 09:17:42 pm »
A few species of ants are opportunistic nester's and will take advantage of available space in the attic of the hive. You were right to remove them but I don't think they harm the hive at all. They might steal some honey but they can't live on that alone.

I think you're good with adding another super right on top of the hive.

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 09:23:22 pm »
You dont think they need anymore room for brood?

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 09:27:42 pm »
The bees will use all the space they need. Once the population builds up, they can work and manage more comb, so they'll use more. Did you see honey? Pollen? If not, they might need to be fed.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 09:35:44 pm »
Yes, on my last inspection when i had more time there was pollen and honey in a rainbow above the brood and the last 2 frames were pollen and honey also. I hear that the quen=en will not croos honey though so if she cant cross the honey they will be limited to 1 brood box unless i add another one under the super.

I am overthinking this way to much :-X

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 09:53:31 pm »
use this in a sprayer around the base of your hive stands and on the nest you see and all will be fine, spray again after a hard rain, best stuff I ever found!!!!! and I moved a hive not long ago and it don't work on stray bee's like it does on other insects......... soap and water on rouge bee's works better, them hags was madddddddddddddd!!!!

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=201143-316-201143&lpage=none
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 12:41:18 am »
I've had a few ant problems this year, too.  I read somewhere on the forum that cinnamon would repel the ants.  I bought a large, bulk jar of cheap cinnamon and sprinkled it on the ground around the affected hives.  I also sprinkled a little bit on the inner cover because I have one hive that had an ant nest there.  It worked like a charm!  I checked them a week later and there are no ants to be found anywhere I treated with the cinnamon. :)

anything