Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Package Differences  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
New Package Differences
« on: June 09, 2008, 11:32:01 pm »
Hived two packages on May 8.  Yesterday one had two frames drawn out and the other five.  You can really tell the difference between the two as well.  The larger is always busy and takes up the feed quite fast.  The slower of the two does not access the hive top feeder much and there does not seem to be a lot of activity up front.  Both have solid brood patterns of varying ages, so I am thinking in the coming days I should see a bee explosion.  I see that the two are different, but struggle with searching for the reasons why this is so?  The two sit right next to each other, so the only thing I can think of is the natural variance of the queens in each hive and perhaps a prevalent southwest wind that wold favor the stronger hive with any drift.  I am concerned a bit, however with the hive with only two frames.  I wonder how they will fill two deeps by fall. 
Brian

Beaches Bee-Haven Apiary

Re: New Package Differences
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 12:29:02 am »
One package probably had a lot of young bees in it, so they were able to build a lot of wax right away. The other package was probably older bees, so there aren't as many bees that can do an efficient job. Once brood starts hatching you'll see a difference in your bees. The new bees will carry the characteristics of the Queen (and the drones she mated with).

-Nathanael 8-)