Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Laying workers saga part 2  (Read 1474 times)

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
Laying workers saga part 2
« on: May 30, 2008, 10:12:06 am »
Hello All: I again have laying workers.  My options on how to handle this are limited (no open brood to give them), so I'm a bit perplexed on how to hand this problem this time around.

I have 3 hives.  #1 and #2 superceded their queens and have queen cells, but little or no brood. 

Hive #3 has laying workers.

Since I haven't any brood to give them, I'm left with doing a shake out.  Last time I did a shake-out, they drifted to a nearby hive and killed the queen in the battle that ensued.  So I'm afraid to do a shake out again because they may enter the other hives and destroy the queen cells. 

Any suggestions or similar experience.  Not sure what to do to keep the other 2 hives moving forward and rearing their queen.

Thanks,
Derrick
I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
Re: Laying workers saga part 2
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 11:20:51 am »
First, leave them alone until the other hives have laying queens.  They aren't hurting anything and they won't get any worse.  They are what they are.  Once you have some brood, you can try the 3 weeks of brood insertion if you wish, but with limit assets, I think I would seal them up and kill them, then give the assets to the other hives.  I would feed to re-build the hives.  If you don't have queens hatch on schedule, buy some.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything