Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nice to see...  (Read 1838 times)

Offline hellbenthoneybee

• House Bee
Nice to see...
« on: March 19, 2008, 07:17:05 pm »
I'm really new to all this forum business, it's truely nice to see people so ready to help and share their knowlage and love...  I'm going to take the advice I've been given and start with some reading so I'm better prepared. I'm so excited beekeeping is the most amazing thing, and honey the nectar of life...  Yay! Bees!  I'm a little worried, I have a friend who is allergic, will they still be able to visit my property?  Will there be a greater risk of stings than usual, I have gardens so regular bee traffic is there...

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Nice to see...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 07:21:13 pm »
With a little common sense, they will be in no more danger than in the park.  Things like don't walk thru the grass in your bare feet, don't stand directly in front of the hive entrance,  don't start swatting when a bee flies near you, etc. etc.  Remember,  the bees are not interested in you at all,  they only become interested when threatened (at least honeybees)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 08:45:58 pm »
I'm a little worried, I have a friend who is allergic, will they still be able to visit my property?  Will there be a greater risk of stings than usual, I have gardens so regular bee traffic is there...

My wife is allergic and I take her down to the hives all the time, with no suit (when I am not opening them up).  She's never been bothered.  This past Sunday when we moved the hives to the new bee yard, she helped move them.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline dlmarti

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 09:10:06 pm »
Its been my experience, that when the average person talks about getting stung, they are talking about wasps not honey bees.

Wasp stings, hurt.

One of my hives in 15 feet from my back door, and right to the side of my detached garage.  They don't bother anyone.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 10:12:05 pm »
You can get an "Epi-pen" prescription from your Dr. just in case you have an emergency. I have one. Its expired, so that'll give you an idea of how often they're needed. I need to gat another one.It IS a good piece of insurance tho. I bet alot of beekeepers keep one in their coffee cup cabinet or somewhere easy to get to if need be!
your friend,
john

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 10:51:11 pm »
>Will there be a greater risk of stings than usual

I had hives in the backyard while raising five kids.  Only one was ever stung and he stepped on one barefoot.  I had no hives in the back yard where I grew up and I got stung about every summer when I stepped on one barefoot.  The bottom line is you're probably not a bit more likely to get stung because there are hives around unless you're walking in front of them at a close distance.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything