Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Borage  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Borage
« on: October 16, 2007, 09:49:40 pm »
Outside taking pictures a couple of days ago (when we had a little sunshine, now back to rain).  Many flowers are still blooming like there was no tomorrow, but I really don't think they have any nectars now, I saw no honeybees on these groups of flowers.

The bees love this Borage, and it is a beauty.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day in this place called earth.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Re: Borage
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 12:13:41 am »
Good picture Cindi
As it so happens I was out plucking seeds today of Borage, though I don't know if I did it right. I was also looking up what possible uses this herb. Apparently it's leaves are used in soups and such and it's also a key ingredient in something called Green Sauce.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Sauce
Which looks similar to the pea soup spewing out of that possessed girl's mouth in "The Exorcist."

Anyone know anything useful for this plant (that doesn't look disgusting).

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 12:34:09 am »
MrILoveTheAnts.  I am glad that you are saving your seed.  Sow it in the spring, on top of the soil.  YOu will find borage growing everywhere around your place next year (is this the first year that you have grown Borage?).  I haven't sown it in my bee area since I first propogated the first plants.  It keeps popping up everywhere else too, and then they set seed and it carries on forever and a day more.  But man is it good for the bees.  It is spoken about in all bee books when they speak of honey plants.  Beauties.

It is difficult to explain how I gather the seed.  But when I see the seed pod turn lighter green and the seeds are exposed, I gather that flower pod then.  I have tried to wait until the seed goes brown, but I find that it usually turns brown throughout the night (that was supposed to be a funneeeee) and it has fallen off the pod by the morning.  So when I see the seeds turning kind of yellow and big looking, I grab them and stick them in something like a paper bag, or in a pail and let them finishing ripening, it only takes a couple of days. 

So the seeds that you are gathering now are great for placing WHERE you want them to grow next year, because you will more than likely have missed many that have already fallen to the ground, ready and waiting for the warmth of the beautiful sun next spring to liven their very souls.  And this they will do, come the first warm days of the spring.  You will see them, the cotyledons (the first seed leaf) are big.  If you have ever grown cucumbers, I can liken the looks of Borage to look like the cucumber first leaf.

Anyways, carry on, you are doing a wonderful job I can be my bottom dollar.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day. 

By the way, someone once told me that the borage flower had a lovely flavour, another person said it tasted like fish oil.

Hmmm....well, I'll tell ya, they wanna make you wanna puke!!!!  Fish oil for sure.  The leaves can also be used in salads, when they are young and tender.  Like their cousin Comfrey, they are reminiscent of a cucumber flavour and yes, they are used extensively in soups.  I don't think I would brew the green pea soup one like the exorcist though  ;) :) :roll:  I think that I also heard that they can be used as a spinach alternative.  Haven't tried it though, but one day may.

Google more on Borage, it is an amazing plant and yes, they do make Borage Essential Oil.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 01:26:00 am »
In Spain the borago is sprouting now. Together with oxalis, hedysarum and others. By the way, would be necessary any rain drops in any days.
I did not know this wild plant till I embraced beekeeper.
MLAnts, if you are going to boil the borago, take care with the little hairs that cover the plant.
The photo is very beautiful. It has the autumnal glow, when the sun is going to the south hemysphere and the shadows are growing up.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 11:19:17 am »
In Spain the borago is sprouting now. Together with oxalis, hedysarum and others. By the way, would be necessary any rain drops in any days.
I did not know this wild plant till I embraced beekeeper.
MLAnts, if you are going to boil the borago, take care with the little hairs that cover the plant.
The photo is very beautiful. It has the autumnal glow, when the sun is going to the south hemysphere and the shadows are growing up.

Abejaruco, you are very observant.  You speak of the autumnal glow, it creates very beautiful pictures when you can have this long fading sun to your advantage with background lighting.  THe autumn makes for very beautiful shadows and lighting.  I love the low sun in the horizon on those sunny autumn days.

We have Borage again germinating, but it will not live much longer, the first killing frost (which has not come yet) will render their lives useless and they will go back to the soil, from whence they came.  But it is good composting.  Borage makes excellent composting, as does the leaves of her giant cousin, Comfrey.  I cut the Comfrey back about 3 times during the summer.  Comfrey is still growing like wildflower, not a flower though, of course.  But I will cut it again, that will be 4 times this summer past, and put the monster leaves into the compost pile for spring amendments to the soils.

Borage has those nasty little hair leaves, kind of prickly feeling and they can stick into the skin, I know that first hand.  THose are some of the slivers my poor ol' Husband has to painstakingly remove.  I generally wear gloves when handling Comfrey or Borage leaves or stems  :)  I ramble and digress.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day.  Cindi, gotta go, kids are everywhere!!!!  coming out of the woodwork even!!!!  :) ;) :roll: :) :) happy day, life with children, the little darlings!!!!!

anything