Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cluster questions  (Read 1774 times)

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
Cluster questions
« on: September 10, 2007, 08:34:17 pm »
at what outside temperature will bees decide to cluster? will they decluster if theres a warm spell? if they are out taking cleansing flights have they broken the cluster? does anyone know the cluster trigger?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Cluster questions
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 10:28:17 pm »
Most people say 50 F.  I've seen mine flying at 45F.  But it would be somewhere in that range probably dependant on other things like sunshine, wind, humidity etc.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 02:28:16 am »
randydrivesabus.  Yes, the bees will decluster when they feel the temperatues will allow this.  They know what to do.  During a nice warm day in particular, they will take a short cleansing flight.

There has been talk about wrapping hives in some of the forum posts.  But there is concern about this because the bees may get too warrm, venture outside because they think it is warm enough to go out, get chilled; and then cannot return to their home because they cannot move.

On a warm day, the cleansing flights are very short.  Have a wonderful day, greatest of life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 08:48:49 am »
I used to worry about them being too warm and flying out, but after having an observation hive in the house, I don't worry about that anymore.  They have better sense.  Some always fly out to die.  Either they are old bees saving the other bees the trouble of taking them out, or they are too stupid to know better.  I'm not sure which, but I don't see any more or less of them based on the temperature the hive is kept.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 09:41:54 am »
so it seems that leaving a medium box with some honey in it over the rest of the hive can be beneficial to the bees during the winter since they can retrieve the honey if necessary. it seems that winters are not nearly as severe as they used to be around here.

anything