Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa Mites  (Read 1688 times)

Offline crazyness

• New Bee
Varroa Mites
« on: August 28, 2007, 08:04:09 pm »
A couple of days ago i saw a bunch of drones dead in the ground near the hives.. some of them were still moving so i picked them one of them and it had varroa mites on them... its been 5 weeks and now everything seems to be normal.. no more dead bees... should i open up the hive and take a look at it?

How do bees fight the mites?

Thank you

btw, the colony was doing pretty good very strong hive...

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Varroa Mites
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 08:10:36 pm »
no harm in looking, or doing a mite count, or using powdered sugar.  always better to see whats going on and avoiding a mess.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 08:15:08 pm »
Some say they have mite resistant stock and they dont treat for them. Others don't have the same stock of bees and treat for mites. If you have a mite problem I would treat them.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 08:48:16 pm »
you know you have mites  you saw one no brainer knock them down and save your bees they dont go away on there own do a mite count to determine if treatment should be hard or soft treating is easy no reason not to you will be fine 8-) RDY-B

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 09:13:13 pm »
Some bees are hygienic and will chew out infested brood.  They will also groom off mites and some will guard the door and not let bees in who have mites.  Some bees do some of these things.  Some do none of them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything