Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Neglected Horizontal Hive ?  (Read 2133 times)

Offline vabeeguy

• New Bee
Neglected Horizontal Hive ?
« on: June 30, 2007, 10:01:00 am »
A friend of mine has decided to sell 2 neglected hives of his. Neither has been looked into for a couple of years, each is 4 mediums high.
However, one hive blew over last winter but stayed complety intact (the propolis on these hives must be like cement). Can this hive be ressurected upright and the bees straighten it back out?  I know it's gonna has criss crossed comb from h*ll. Also, what kind of price would 2 negected hives both bustling with bees bring, even with this problem?

Offline n9kww

• New Bee
Re: Neglected Horizontal Hive ?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 11:58:14 am »

For the second part, they are valuable, price wise it depends. The first thing you need to do is to do a mite check, high mite count means you will need to medicate them BEFORE moving them. You do not want to spread the problem around,(that is how we got to this point in the first place) and create more problems with you other hives. Then check it all over for EFB and AFB, and so on. You should have a state bee inspector who will be more than happy (most case free) to inspect them for you or in the very least help you out with the process.  After that you will have a much better idea as to the value of the hives. As a real rough starting point based on prices in Wis. Area, you should be able to get them for less than $40.00 each, I would guess based one your description that you will get them for under that , I would offer him/her $20.00 for the both of them. By time you invest your time and money into fixing them they are not worth much more than that.
Beechgrove

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 07:24:05 pm »
If it's been laying on it's side there is no telling what the combs are like, nor is there any telling what kind of shape the wood would be in from laying on the side.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 01:45:47 am »
 ;)would like to see some pics  :lol: sounds fun.remind the guy you are saving them.they should be free  RDY-B

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 03:11:12 am »
I hope you have some extra woodenware, the termites have probably made the hive on its side "bottomless."  I would turn the toppled hive upright, then replace the boxes (finding out what condition the frames are in), and let it set a day or 2 before moving it. 

One garantee:  That toppled hive is going to be an Experience.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline vabeeguy

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 09:52:48 am »
The word experience seems a little understated, the word nightmare popped into my mind at first, especially if the sides have rotted out.
I have yet see them yet, for he is in the process of moving back in with his family after an unfortunate chain of events. The hives are  are at his parents which is probaly less than 15 miles away, and I do have the extra woodenware. It even crossed my mind to split these hives (if they are as bustling as he says) on sight and bring home 4 more managable hives. Yesterday he brought by his riding lawn mower and rotor tiller which I happily purchased as well as giving me an electric uncapping knife and about 100 plastic foundation. Not used to plastic, I normally use wired wax and this has no wax coating so I'm not sure what I will do with this yet, can it be dipped, with bees use it anyway?

anything