Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How many Dollars were lost? ... Part 1  (Read 545 times)

Offline CoolBees

• Field Bee
Re: How many Dollars were lost? ... Part 1
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2019, 01:14:44 pm »
each person "earns" a dollar, and then "spends" that dollar,
...  If you earn a dollar and spend a dollar you have zero wealth no matter how many times you do it.  Actually you are negative because of taxes.

Thats how most people live their lives Ace - 1 paycheck to the next.

I'm not sure how Part 2 got locked. It's unlocked now.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2019, 03:38:45 pm »
A poll by one of the cable news channels found that 40% of Americans (55 million people) would be unable to write a check to cover an emergency and would have to borrow money or sell something to pay such a bill. 

Can anyone explain why our schools are not teaching people basic economic survival skills? 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline CoolBees

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2019, 04:23:06 pm »
Haha! That's one of my favorite pet peeves! ... what the unionized school teachers AREN'T teaching and/or CAN'T teach (for those very few teachers that would LIKE to teach properly and are allowed to).

In truth - there's a long list of problems leading us to where we are right now. Savings, teaching (home and school), parenting, news media, hollywood, and on ...

In some ways it's a sad state of affairs Dallas.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2019, 06:20:08 pm »
Can anyone explain why our schools are not teaching people basic economic survival skills?

You don't even need a whole class for that.  My father taught me 10-10-bills-fun.  10% to the savings account. 10% to God.  Pay the bills.  Anything left over is for fun.

I haven't been to church for decades, but I do the 10% to God in either donations or time or both. 

It ain't rocket science. 
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2019, 09:32:33 am »
Thats how most people live their lives Ace - 1 paycheck to the next.
Many people don't have a choice and then there is the problem of diminishing wealth.  Most working people in my generation came from a family that had more then their parents.  The situation is reversed today.  There is no american dream unless you are a foreigner.

In truth - there's a long list of problems leading us to where we are right now. Savings, teaching (home and school), parenting, news media, hollywood, and on ...

I would say the biggest contributor is parenting because of what I said above.  Having more then your parents you want your kids to have more then you so our generation tried to give it to them and all they learned is to beg for it to get more.  The second thing that happened is a global economy.  Industry had always controlled government but industry could not move off shore.  It wasn't an option so labor unions worked for the middle class.  Once the doors were open labor unions lost their power and industry gained it back.  So wealth is transferring to the top from the middle because the bottom has no wealth.
There is only a couple of ways that I know of growing wealth.  You either farm it or build it by making something.  We gave away the making something so there is only farming which is mostly a big business venture.  Well I suppose there is bee keeping on a small scale. LOL
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2019, 09:37:46 am »

You don't even need a whole class for that.  My father taught me 10-10-bills-fun.  10% to the savings account. 10% to God.  Pay the bills.  Anything left over is for fun.

I haven't been to church for decades, but I do the 10% to God in either donations or time or both. 

Where does God spend his money?
Your father had more then he needed to live otherwise savings, God, and fun would be out the window.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2019, 10:16:31 am »
Ace-Once the doors were open labor unions lost their power and industry gained it back.  So wealth is transferring to the top from the middle because the bottom has no wealth.

Businesses move over seas because our government has been adding restriction on top of restrictions and so many requirements to do business that it had become too expensive to build anything here.
Since Trump took office, company?s are moving back to th the US because he has been removing restrictions.
Jim

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2019, 10:39:30 am »
Now, Jim, you know a lib believes that a 5 dollar item can be made in either country. Therefore, it should sell for 5 dollars wherever it goes. Just because the US gov. requires the US employee be paid 7 dollars to make it, it should not be made in China where the employee will be paid 10 cent to make it. The libs think the employer here should pay 7 dollars to make it, plus materials, and sell it for 5 dollars.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2019, 10:42:41 am »
>For the moment - your statement "Money is no longer secured by gold it is pure faith in the system"

Spain's money WAS gold and their economy still collapsed.  Why?  Because the supply of gold went up significantly from gold and silver from the new world.  Increasing the supply of money, even if backed by gold, will still cause run away inflation.  The money supply needs to be adequate without being excessive.  Backing it with gold just puts a certain amount of limitation on the supply, but a glut of gold will still collapse your economy.  You can't eat gold.  You can't build much with it.  It's only useful as a backing for currency because it is limited in supply.  Money is always faith in the system.  Even if it is gold.  You have to have faith that someone will exchange it for something useful.  Adam Smith suggested that gold, while being better than nothing to base a currency on, was not perfect.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2019, 01:43:07 pm »
Your father had more then he needed to live otherwise savings, God, and fun would be out the window.

He had priorities.  Fun was often out the window.  Savings were sometimes used.  God was never shorted.

We never went without what we needed, but we often went without what we wanted.  We learned to earn early in our lives for things we wanted. 
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2019, 09:09:29 pm »

Kathy, God doesn't exist for some people and if you know anything at all about God he has nothing to do with finance, government or a tithe.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2019, 09:41:53 pm »
Kathy, God doesn't exist for some people and if you know anything at all about God he has nothing to do with finance, government or a tithe.

Not the point.  As I posted, I don't go to church.  My contribution is in the community.  As someone who thinks the government does too much, I have an obligation to put my money where my mouth is.  For some people, that may be in churches, which I have also pointed out are the first to step up when needed, or as I do in some other kind of work.

You may interpret the 10% to God in any way you wish.  I see it as my part in taking care of people so that I can in good faith say that I'd like the government to butt out. 
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2019, 09:23:44 am »
I see it as my part in taking care of people so that I can in good faith say that I'd like the government to butt out.
I see it as supporting one government, using God as a label, which you have no control over their conduct vs. another government that you do have some control over their conduct.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2019, 11:57:37 am »
which you have no control over their conduct vs. another government that you do have some control over their conduct.

I have control over where I put my money and effort.  Do you have control over where the government spends your money from your effort?  A charity or NGO that is not doing what it is supposed to do loses support.  Not an option with taxes.
Alexis de Tocqueville