Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: With all due respect  (Read 373 times)

Offline salvo

• House Bee
With all due respect
« on: January 14, 2019, 08:53:03 pm »

Hi Folks,

I?m a relative newbee here, with just a small observation, hoping not to overstep my bounds.

This is an open forum, open to anybody, world-wide, run and habituated by beekeepers. I tell a lot of newbees to use this and Beesource for excellent information.

My club?s BEE SCHOOL teaches about 100 new people every winter. Our 2019 school just started last Thursday night. We/I tell people to use this forum, frequently.

I have been very impressed with our opportunities to discuss more than just subjects about beekeeping. Many forums do not allow politics to be discussed. This forum is great! I BRAG about our Second Amendment sub-forum.

I do understand that when people regularly get together, they speak with familiarity. My parents told me familiarity breeds contempt. A visitor to these pages could misunderstand our familiarity.

Our language here is always insightful, yet sometimes it?s inciteful.

Two words that could dismay a casual observer are Sambo and turd. I?m sure I?m not the only one to wince when I read these words. You can keep saying them. I just wince.

When my brother came home from Parris Island boot camp, he had adopted a new favorite phrase, Turd Bird.

He used that phrase for decades, until he passed away. Please forgive me that when I see the name Acebird and the word turd in the same post, I think of that phrase. Turd Bird. I laughed when I first read it. I?m laughing now. I'll always laugh at the phrase, Turd Bird.

Those Marines, Huh?

Sal
Salvo

Online CoolBees

• Field Bee
Re: With all due respect
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 10:13:42 pm »
Ahhh - the deliciously delightful art of subtlety!

Great post Sal. Cheers!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 09:23:52 am »
Sounds a little spiteful (don't know what inciteful is) but I don't wince.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 11:13:25 am »
Insightful would be full of understanding.  Inciteful would be something that incites people or something that stirs up trouble.  Homonyms that are almost antonyms.   Like raze and raise.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 05:36:52 pm by Michael Bush »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 04:42:16 pm »
I agree with salvo and I agree to quit using sambo if ace and any others agree to quit using turd.

Good Post, Salvo.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 09:08:11 pm »
Can I still use "crap"?
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 09:59:52 pm »
Depends on what you use it for. Garden fertilizer is fine. Feeding it to citizens like the dems do is forbidden.  :wink:   :cheesy:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 10:13:54 am »
I agree with salvo and I agree to quit using sambo if ace and any others agree to quit using turd.
"sambo" is derogatory and racist something our country is struggling with after more than 200 years of existence.  "turd" describes what the man really is.  There are other words to describe him but they are not appropriate to use on beemasters.  I will seek out other words that might describe him but nothing is more fitting.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 10:54:07 am »
Turd for any president of the USA is not only degrading, but should be considered treason.
Sambo is a well known character in a well known children's story.

Again, you couldn't be any more wrong. I'm beginning to think you post just to annoy, as none of your posts are anything but untruths and degrades.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jvalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 01:05:39 pm »
I would prefer my Presidents, past and present, being referred to respectfully. 

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 01:16:13 pm »
I agree. I am now asking mods and admins to ban for life, the next member that uses either slur, after posting their intention of doing so.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jvalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 01:25:49 pm »
No, don't do that.
I block offending commenters in the Coffee House, but open their comments in the bee, farm and garden areas.  Everyone here has something to contribute.  Besides the mods will take care of business on their own, from my experience..... :grin:

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 02:53:21 am »
Turd for any president of the USA is not only degrading, but should be considered treason.
Sambo is a well known character in a well known children's story.

Again, you couldn't be any more wrong. I'm beginning to think you post just to annoy, as none of your posts are anything but untruths and degrades.

That seems to be part of an election-based monachy, iddee. That is what the reverence to US-presidents looks like to me anyway. No reason to compare to excrements, you are right on that.
What about freedom of speech, of opinion? I had the impression, you were pretty straight-forward yourself.

no comments on the no-deal-Brexit? Hey, cider, where are you?

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 05:57:44 am »
I am straight forward, but have had posts modified and deleted when I went overboard. I never put up a fuss when it happens. I just try to back off a bit and be a bit nicer.

To me, turd is overboard and should be deleted by mods or admin.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jvalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 09:34:58 am »
Blackforest,
The Freedom of Speech pertains to government only.  In the Forum, the Beemaster mod can decide which speech he chooses to allow.  I own my own businesses, should an employee or customer cross the line they are asked to go elsewhere.  The government cannot restrict speech, Google can restrict speech for example.
Same with the Second Amendment.  In Ohio and Indiana you are permitted to carry your weapon, with some restriction, in public.  However, as a private citizen, I can restrict those rights on my property and not allow firearms in or on my property.

Hope this helps